If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Gwr 216

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Matt78, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Bit of a pictorial update, some parts of the coach are now in final coats of gloss, not bad handywork for a southern man, Bullied Pacific!

Still plenty do do though, work is now concentrating on roof fittings, the alarm chain system and more bodywork finishing.

Attached Files:

2. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Looking good Matt.
    Any news on TVR 145. Is this still off site, under restoration.
    Also I've lost a link I had to your C&W news and can't find it anywhere!
    Steve

3. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Nice job, must get down that way sometime.

Keep up the good work!

4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    TVR 145 is still offsite, no real work has been carried out though, it remains in store for the time being (enough to do with GWR 216 at the moment!)
    The web link is www.gvcg.co.uk

5. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Cheers Matt
    At least it's still safe. Thanks for the link, I'll try not to lose it this time!
    Keep up the good work!
    Steve

6. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Just lending a bit of Lancing inspiration to the occasion, with a bit of Eastleigh thrown in for good measure. As we all know, there's the wrong way, the right way and the Southern way (well, the journal, anyway)! Anyway, will see you at Llwyfan tomorrow, and hope the door issue gets resolved (and therefore the beading too) before the carriage is once again re-connected to the Gwili railway network! As I see it, we are currently in 'splendid isolation'!

7. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Matt, let me know when you re-start weekend work on 216, and I'll pop down to make inroads into finishing the Bronwydd end. I think I'll have to either scrape off the top middle panel's varnish in its entirety or use filler and re-paint it before re-varnishing it. I'm not too happy with the overtly-obvious pitting that happened after trying to scrape off the varnish runs, so its better to start afresh. That's one thing that can be said for it being in panel form, its easy to remedy your mistakes without destroying the whole edifice!

9. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Latest update, the coach has emerged from the shed into the daylight, as there is only one shed on the Gwili it has to be shared with other departments unfortunatley.

Recent work has seen the roof fittings installed, such as the 'polo' wood pieces upon which the ventilators rest. Also attached were the rain strips and spouts (originals from 1888) and finally the roof was given a coat of roof paint mixed with linseed oil to seal it. Bullied Pacific on this forum continues with the varnishing on the ends, which are starting to come up pretty good.

The next stages will involve some interior woodwork during the spring and early summer, seat backs, door draught excluders and other bits to be fitted. We should then be set up for the return to the shed in July (ish) for more work on the exterior, such as manufacture of missing beading etc. The list of jobs left is getting smaller, but some of the ones left are among the most fiddly!

A request- does anybody know of or have any GWR type alarm chain 'eyelets' or anchors that they don't need or would be willing to donate/sell?

Unfortunatley the coach won't be up and running for GWR 175 (which is a shame as we did have one enquiry for it to join in the celebrations at another event) but hopes are high that we can get through the remaining work during the course of the year.

Attached Files:

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Not totally concerned with GWR 216, but the Vintage Carriage Group's website has now been updated with Jan-March 2010 news showing some of the work involved in BR Mk1 SK 24825's intermediate overhaul

http://www.gvcg.co.uk/news/2010/

11. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update, GWR 216 is now back undercover and work is due to recommence shortly. We are also working on our Taff Vale Coach no.220 at the same time, this is receiving a full repaint and here is some footage from last Friday when bothcoaches were shunted into the shed. Yours truly was the shunter with Phil Guard on this forum as the assistant. The fetching pinky purple on TVR 220 is only an undercoat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tuMP4Ec9b0

12. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Very nice Matt.

My Wife and I will be visiting the Gwili on Monday the 26th of July, hope to see some of you guys there.

Best regards
    Chris.

13. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    The Gwili Vintage Carriage Group website has been updated with recent work on TVR220, with pictues, here is the link

http://www.gvcg.co.uk/news/2010/#July

We have started using brush filler as part of the repainting, it provides a good base for topcoats, this is also commonly used on MK1 coaches to give body but this is the first time we are using it on wooden coaches. The filler is mixed 50:50 with undercoat and that is why we have the purpule colour! Other work on TVR 220 involves door repairs and woodwork replacement on the duckets. This unique coach is 120 years old next year so we hope it will be looking resplendent again in time for it's birthday. We are sticking with GWR livery, (painter's perrogative!) although the coach never actually carried this in service
    it will hopefully look quite smart with GWR 216 when this is also painted.

Not sure who's around on Monday 26th yet Chris, will let you know

Matt

14. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  15. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
  16. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Taff Vale coach 220 is now starting to look pretty good, still a bit more to do, but we're getting there!
    Regards
    Matt

Attached Files: