If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great Central Railway Locations

Discussion in 'Photography' started by ChrisBridges, Oct 1, 2014.

1. ChrisBridges

ChrisBridges New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,
    I am hoping to go to the Great Central's gala this weekend and as I have never been there before does anyone know of any good photography locations which are in easy walking distance from any of the stations along the line.
    Many Thanks Chris

2. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Hi Chris,
    I'm assuming that you don't have a lineside permit.
    At Loughborough Central you can walk up a path to the engine shed from the north end of the platform. There is also a viewing area beyond the small building between the tracks. The platforms themselves offer some excellent scenes later in the day when things quieten down.
    The views from the Great Central Road overbridge aren't that great, but it's only a short walk to Beeches Road, which is the next bridge to the south.
    At Quorn & Woodhouse there is a fenced off viewing area near the signalbox which gives a great view of the TPO apparatus although this year there is going to be a scaffold platform somewhere around there for the exclusive use of some videographers working for the railway. There is a pub immediately adjacent to the line on the north side of the station and you'll have a good view of the line from their garden. There are other locations around the station that will become apparent when you get there.
    At Rothley, you have the option of photography from the platforms and overbridge and you can also go along the top of the embankment on the east side.
    Leicester North has a stub platform that gives a good view of locomotives as they start to run round - a lot of people head here as soon as their train stops, so you'll need to be quick to get a clear shot.
    If you have a car, then you could get to some other good spots away from the stations, such as the infamous Kinchley Lane and Main Road overbridges.
    I think that there's a location guide to the GCR produced by Matt Allen available via this thread: - http://railways.national-preservation.com/threads/great-central-photo-guide.1908/
    I also suggest that you have a look at a large scale OS map or Google Maps to see what else may be practicable for you.
    Cheers,

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Main Street/ Road overbridge is a 15-20 minute walk from Loughborough or Quorn stations.

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    My last visit showed an orange corridor as far as the eye could see north and south from most locations, just as a word of warning

5. ChrisBridges

ChrisBridges New Member

Thank you for the ideas! I shall go and have a look at them.
    Thanks Chris