If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Great 3 days at Pithiviers

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Purple Emperor, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Purple Emperor

Purple Emperor New Member

I've wanted to visit the Pithiviers tramway for some time. They have some very tempting engines in their operating fleet.
    I was very keen to film them working. The weekend of 23rd 24th June was shown on their website as the 120th anniversary
    of the Pithiviers-Toury Tramway, but they didn't say what was happening or what was running.

I went on Friday 22nd because this was shown as a diesel day, and they have 2 I wanted to film. It turned out that No 10
    an 0-6-2T Decauville worked two round trips for schoolchildren, but T11 the Gmeinder HF130 0-6-0 diesel did a full line trip
    with a works train. I was lent a bike to chase this train to the Bellebat terminous to video the shunting!

Saturday was even better. The 2 passenger engines were No5 an 0-6-0T Blanc-Misseron and No12 a massive (for 2' gauge)
    0-8-0T Franco-Belge. The driver proudly told me his engine weighed 23 tonnes. The passenger service was half- hourly from
    14-00 until 17-45 trains crossing at the mid-way loop. Their tram (autorail) AT1 also performed a round trip and gave rides
    on the Bellebat inner loop. To my delight both dieselswere working, mostly shunting. T15 is a Gmeinder 2 axle 8 tonne shunter.

Sunday was more of the same with No 10 and No5 being the passenger locos.

So all 3 operational steam engines were used. No9 a very fine 2-6-0T La Meuse was under repair and there were many other
    engines scattered about the depot and museum.

Keith