If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Good supplier for carriage Golf Ball bulbs ?

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by toplight, Apr 18, 2018.

1. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am trying to Purchase some Golf Ball bulbs for inside a coach. I am looking for the 22mm Bayonet cap, 24v and around 15 to 20w. (pearl finish, not clear). Anybody know a good supplier. I find several places advertise them on their websites but when I phone to check they have none in stock and cant seem to get them. I am looking to pay around £2 each. ( ie for the old traditional filament bulbs). Some LED ones I have seen for around £7 to £10 each ouch ! ( I need about 27). Any suggestions ?

2. chrishallam

chrishallam Well-Known Member

I appreciate it's not what you're directly asking, but I believe we switched to LED ones a year or so ago and have found they are already paying for themselves. Whilst the purchase cost was higher the drain on the batteries is significantly reduced and lifespan appears increased.

One of our volunteers runs a company sourcing electrical components from the far East. I believe he has supplied bulbs to other heritage railways if you would like me to forward his details

3. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

I have ordered some now, but thanks for the offer. The old type bulbs are clearly becoming more scarce and I have had to order 25w ones when I really wanted the 15w but they are no longer available. I have an original British Railways one (it is marked British Railways on the bulb) and they were 20w originally. The 24v LEDs are better in that they consume less power but I am put off by the high cost although they may drop in price in future. I read that the LNER coaches on the SVR are being gradually fitted with LEDs

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

We're doing our Mk1s with them as well and you'd be really hard pressed to notice most of the time. Prices are coming down all the time so worth bearing in mind.