If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Good News from the Bluebell

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gavin, Nov 14, 2009.

1. gavin

gavin New Member

Roy Watts, the Society Chairman, has today released news about the award of the contract for the new development at Sheffield Park:

"I am pleased to announce that we have now had written confirmation from the Heritage Lottery Fund that they have approved the railway’s recommendation of Morgan Ashurst as the main works contractor for the Woodpax, Operation Undercover project including the new washout pit.

Morgan Ashurst has worked on some important heritage projects such as the restoration and setting of the SS Great Britain. Railway experience includes the current repair and restoration of the fourth roof span at Paddington Station.

There were 4 contractors who submitted tender documentation for the project which were then subject to scrutiny by our professional advisors.

The appointment of the main contractor is of course a major step forward but there are still a number of issues that need to be addressed such as the timing and relocation of the ticket presses (whatever you may have read elsewhere this is still not finalised) and the enabling works for the new washout pit.

However, I am pleased for the Membership who will now see yet more improvement to their railway through the provision of covered accommodation for our historic carriages and more attraction for the paying visitor who will benefit from a much improved and extended museum and better facilities on the up platform.

It is planned to mobilise the contractor on site by early December and apart from setting up works, the real work will commence in the New Year. The contract period is less than a year and we hope to have the main building works complete prior to the Santa operating period in 2010.

A full report will appear in the Winter edition of Bluebell News.

Roy Watts
    Chairman BRPS"

2. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

The latest Bluebell news has some good news for us all...

I will leave you to guess what this might be.

For a lesson on a failed attempt on censorship see the Bluebell yahoo group!

Regards,
    Tom

3. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Yes I saw that Tom, it would appear that some "elitism" is going on here as some people know and the great unwashed do not.

Sad!

Regards
    Chris

4. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

By not telling the rest of us what this "good news" is aren't you being a little bit elitist yourself Chris!

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    always interesting this one

quarterly magazine is the prime source of information for members as not all have access to yahoo groups and or internet. So if the news comes out before the magazine naturally the membership are not happy . If the news only comes out in the magazine then the need to know now brigade aren't happy. No one wins

The person who was wrong was the i know something you don't and i'm not going to tell you poster

6. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    All that's happened is that yesterday a Bluebell volunteer got wind of something that the railway is arranging. The railway is intending to keep the news under wraps so that it can be announced to all members simultaneously in the imminently expected next issue of Bluebell News Magazine. Knowing this however, the volunteer decides to send a message to the Yahoo email group asking whether anyone wants to learn the news immediately, or do they want to wait until it’s announced in Bluebell News. Several members responded telling him to keep quiet so as not to spoil the surprise, respect the wishes of the railway and the people who had arranged it.

Chris

7. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

Don't you mean that some members are wishing to keep it under wraps, so that they can pretend that all members find out at the same time. Which they won't of course, with the postal system the magazine can arrive up to a week later than the first copies are received!

Regards,
    Tom

8. Sidmouth

But at least it's being announced in the official organ of the bluebell railway

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    And we still don't know what the news is. Perhaps Tiger Woods is taking over from Roy Watts

10. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

As long as its not Gordon Brown!

11. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    So there is no truth in the rumour that a tight-fisted gentleman lost a 10p piece down a rabbit hole in the tip and now all the rubbish has been cleared..

12. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    or any other politician for that matter - there are too Prima Donna types in preservation as it is !!

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I don,t know what the news is david, how i wish.

Regards
    Chris

14. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    STOP PRESS!,1, They have found a C2X buried in the tip

2, Someone has gifted 2 millon pounds to spend on Pullmans

Regards
    Chris

15. Sidmouth

No Tom Cruise has gifted the railway the money to empty the tip in return for all passengers converting to Scientology

16. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Well I'd guess it can't be rocket science, either someone's stumped up all the cash to clear the tip or the H class is going to be outshopped in BR lined black first[-o<

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Not at all David. The Bluebell has agreed to house a pair of Thumpers, 2 Class 73s and a Class 33 and run 50% of the services with diesel. :)

18. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Bloody hell, now that would be a headline grabber that, or even better the Bluebell have bought one of those new Javelin trains and will electrify the line!:p

19. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be something interesting, not another whinge about censorship on the Bluebell...

20. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    FURTHER STOP PRESS!

The whole of the PLC board resigns handing back the Railway to the Society.

Regards
    Chris