If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Glyn Valley

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by triassic, Feb 18, 2009.

1. triassic

triassic Member

I see the Glyn Valley Tramway Group have laid some track \:D/ http://www.pianola-rolls.co.uk/tracklaying.html

2. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

3. triassic

triassic Member

I know which end I`ll be visiting :-#

4. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

I look forward to visiting both ends - just as I enjoy visiting both Welsh Highlands.

Richard

5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  6. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    Peace broken out? does that mean both ends are working together or something else!
    Nice to see some good progress though.

7. 30854

Retired
    IF I'm reading the runes correctly, when full restoration gets underway, it will be to 2'4 1/2" gauge. i.e. proper GVT. The 2'6" schism is history.

There's a proposal (AFAIK that's all it is for now) to obtain some 2ft (or thereabouts) stock to get a short section up and running quickly (at Chirk, I think), to get an income stream going. It'd also give them something to flog to fatten the coffers when Glyn Gauge operation becomes a reality.

Unless someone with deep pockets stumps up for enough reproduction GVT stock from Day 1, it sounds a sensible enough plan. After all, Lynbarn played no small part in kick-starting operations at Woody Bay.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Hando likes this.
  8. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't hold your breath. There are more factions in that area than in 'Monty Python's Life of Brian'.

Bob.

9. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

But Lynbarn was to the same gauge as the L&B....

10. 30854

Retired
    Certainly... but that's pretty much where the similarity ends these days! The thinking, I'd guess, is that something 'off the peg' is going to be way less expensive to get up & running. The GVT folk don't look to be suggesting more than a temporary and shortish line, to put the Ceiriog Valley back on the map. How serious or how advanced the 2ft idea is, I don't know.

Looking at their website, there's an impression of "Glyn Style" bogie vehicles. Whether that indicates any concrete proposal, or artistic license, again, I don't know, but there has to be a practical lower limit to capacity. A single coach party would need 4 or 5 12/16 seat 2compt 4 wheelers, plus guards accomodation, if they're broadly to the original design. Compared with some "out of the box" 2ft stock, that's a substantial up-front investment (before you consider a loco). Aah... the joys of having a unique quage!

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The chance of the two ends ever meeting in the middle seems somewhat remote.

12. 30854

Retired
    Oooh... cynical, Martin? Time will tell !

13. Martin Perry

I drive the route most weekends. OK so everything is possible given enough £ching, but the practicalities of even getting past some of the properties and along the road would be challenging to say the least.

30854 likes this.
  14. 30854

Retired
    Glad you avoided the "i" word, Martin! Time was, the same was said of the Corris, L&B and Welsh Highland. Different kettle of fish, of course, but if the past nearly seven decades have taught us anything, it's that miracles have happened on a fairly regular basis, and the impossible doesn't always take much longer!

As JFK didn't say.... "We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because we may, just, be off our collective rocker".

15. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a pedant (I'm not really sorry) but there is quite an important difference between the WHR, where the trackbed was intact and unobstructed, and something like the Glyn Valley. Even the Corris have relatively modest plans and nothing to actually demolish along the way. The L&B is slightly complex, shall we say, but still not major road running and lots of properties to demolish. And neither of them has actually succeeded yet!
    This whole line of "they said the Bluebell would never succeed" is often used to justify WIBN. But the cases are quite different on the ground.
    If it makes you feel better, "They All Laughed" by George Gershwin is a splendid song and pertinent to the discussion...

Hando and Forestpines like this.
  16. 30854

Retired
    All very true Andrew. I certainly couldn't claim the situation of the GVT is directly comparable with any other line. The point that each line is unique is made often on our pages, and so they are.

Current Corris aspirations may indeed be modest, but present no small challenge (as well as the newts - which are pretty small!). There was the slight issue of moving a GP surgery at Corris... overcome. Working with highways wallahs, alongside a busy A road.... overcome. I've heard no statement that longer term plans south of Ty Coed towards Machynlleth have been abandoned, although I'd concede that even I, in my most optimistic moments, can't see any realistic possibility of the northern section to Aberllefenni reopening.

The L&B has already carried out some limited demolition of post closure extensions to station buildings, planned demolition of a post closure building near Parracombe. The most impressive narrow gauge viaduct in the country stands ready, waiting for trains to return.

The point is, whatever obstacles have stood in the way of restorations, be they single buildings, missing bridges, inundation by reservoir, even a near 300yd replacement tunnel through solid rock in the case of the Ffesterbahn, where heritage lines have got the ear of those key decision makers, in councils, central government, park authorities, business associations, tourism authorities, landowners etc. etc. things start to happen.

The GVT faces it's own unique set of problems, to be certain, but it would be a brave soul who asserts that trams will never again rattle along between Chirk and Glynceiriog.

17. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

All power to the people actually working on this & very good luck, it will be great to see something soon in whatever form.

Pure speculation/wishful thinking, but I wonder if it might even be feasible to start off at 2'3" rather than 2'? Allows a possibility to borrow "Original" coaches (TR permitting) in the future & possibly even also find a loan loco/stock from Corris or TR?!

Cheers,

18. 30854

Retired
    5560307605_20d7d60de9_b.jpg.cf.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Martin Perry

As regards the 'main line', would I be right in thinking that apart from the section from Chirk down the hill, the short section past the Cheshire home and the station in GC, the rest is all covered by the B4500?

20. 30854

Retired
    The revivalists must have some ideas for the many issues faced, or things surely wouldn't have come this far.... you'd have to hope. I'll be as interested as anyone just how they propose to circumvent them. If not, then the revival will either be at best a partial one, or fail completely. Much will clearly depend on the determination of the trust, plus the goodwill of landowners.