If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Glasgow Central Tour

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Glenmutchkin, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I had a search but couldn't find a thread about this. I hope that I have posted in the correct section of the forum but if not mods please feel free to move.

I had been aware of the 'behind the scenes' tours of Glasgow Central Station run by Network Rail for some time but had never got round to booking before. I looked earlier this year but tours were suspended due to Covid. Around the end of the summer they restarted and I made bookings for my wife and myself for today.

Our guide was a very chatty lady who had a host of stories to tell about the station and its history within the context of the city of Glasgow. There was a nice balance between detailed railway stuff and more general interest matters which kept the whole audience entertained. For me the highlights were the relatively new museum room which includes a private collection of signalling equipment and ephemera and the descent to the disused low level platform. There are plans to develop this further and we were told that just today an agreement has been reached with SRPS for the loan of a coach and loco as part of the development.

The tour lasted an hour and three quarters and cost £13 each.

A link to the booking site. https://www.glasgowcentraltours.co.uk/

20211021122116.JPG 20211021123056.JPG

YorkyLad, echap, jnc and 5 others like this.