If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Getting your priorities right!

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by olly5764, Aug 5, 2008.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Doing one of the many guards turns that I have clocked up this year, on one of the 1940's weekends. The train arrives at Bridgnorth at 5.23 p.m., with what will become the last train back to Kidderminster Town. I went to retrive my tail lamp, and watched the train before me, leave.
    As I arrived back at the van, I was stopped by one of the station staff.
    "Ian," he said, "I'm glad I have found you."
    "Oh?" I replied, knowing full well I did not owe him any money, so it must be serious.
    "This gentleman does have a ticket, " he went on to explain, "but it is not with him."
    "Right,"
    "It is with his wife on the train infront."
    "Go on," I said, now struggling to contain my laughter, "Or shouldn't I ask."
    "It's bnothing serious," replied the passenger, holding two Carry outs of beer, "There was no one in the buffet car on the train we came in on, and we didn't fancy a dry trip back, so, I thought we had time, put the missus and the kids on the train with my ticket, and went to the pub for a carry out, only, I didn't have time you see."
    I did see, but neither of us could keep a traight face when I told my ticket inspector, I did how ever manage to ongratulate him on doing what most other men would love to but never dare, in putting beer before his Wife and his marridge!
    I am not sure what happened to him after that, I have not heard and reports of the Railwaymans Arms causing any divorces, so I can only assume that his wife found the whole situation as ammusing as we did!