If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

German '01's Romance tour 31-7 to 9-8-2015

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Steamworks, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Steamworks

Steamworks New Member

Climbing hills
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This tour starts in Nuremburg on 31 July, operated by IGE and supported by the UK-based RTC, double heading across Germany with numerous '01' locos. I will be in Germany for the start of the tour and would like to photograph the first couple of days. I've contacted IGE and asked if I can purchase the times but they are not able to provide them for 'legal' reasons.

Does anyone know how to obtain detailed timings for this and any other German main line steam tours. In the past I've paid for them but this now looks very difficult.

Thanks

Dave

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've just checked the Dreshecheibe forum and someone has asked much the same question. The sole respondent so far has expressed surprise that IGE won't sell times as they have done in the past but has not suggested an alternative source. Maybe worth keeping an eye on http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/list.php?108 for any posts on the subject. A working knowledge of German will be useful.

3. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Sorry it's no help to you now, but I'd seen the outline programme on Drehscheibe-online.de (Termine), and as I was returning from a wedding in Poland, I called-in at Marktschorgast (top of the Schiefe Ebene), and was able to get the local timings from the Fahrdienstleiter on the station (which is still manned, as trains to/from Hof now split/join there for Bamberg and/or Bayreuth as there is a new chord to Bayreuth avoiding N'markt-Wirsberg). I have used this tactic successfully on other occasions!

I was thus able to phot the train at Mainleus, after the photo-stop in Kulmbach and, of course, on the Schiefe Ebene (despite the sun obstinately shining from the wrong direction, I chose the S-Bend in order to replicate a photo I'd taken there 42 years previously).

Mainleus
    [​IMG]

Kulmbach
    [​IMG]

DDM
    [​IMG]

Schiefe Ebene
    9 May 1973 (also 001 180-9!)
    [​IMG]

31 August 2015
    [​IMG]

Marktschorgast
    [​IMG]

4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    IGE also posted the times on their Facebook page over the last few days, I haven't noticed them do that before.