If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GCRN/6880 Closing the Gap - 4/5/6 May

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Gav106, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I have heard that the 6880 society is (on this none sss year) doing an event at the gcr north and hiring a 9f. I have visited the gcr north a couple of times but never Been on the line so this sounds like a great reason to do it. Does anyone know anymore about the proposed gala? Cheers gav

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: 9f to visit GCR North may day to raise funds for 6880.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but our recent newsletter does say they want help to publicise this!

CLOSING THE GAP GALA - 4/5/6 MAY 2013

6880 Betton Grange Society are planning on running a fund raising event in the East Midlands in 2013. From the creators of the hugely popular Steel, Steam & Stars events at Llangollen, in partnership with the Great Central Railway - Nottingham Ltd, the "Closing the Gap" Gala will be a joint fundraising event for 6880 and the GCR(N) with the aim of raising funds for the missing gap in the history of Great Western 4-6-0s with 6880 as well as assisting the GCR(N) with their missing gap over the Midland ML at Loughborough.

This event will be held over the May Day Bank Holiday. Provisional plans include;
    - Intensive 2-train timetable over the GCR(N) on all days featuring upto 4 locomotives.
    - Guest visit of Ex-BR 9F 92203 "Black Prince'
    - Guest visit of Ex-LMS Ivatt 2MT 46521
    - Home fleet of RSH Ugly's nos 56 & 63

- Gala on "Nottingham Society of Model and Experimental Engineers" track at Ruddington, featuring a variety of 5"/7.25" locos in L&B replica 'Lew' from the National Railway Museum
    - Static display of Talyllyn Railway No.3 Sir Haydn, which was built at the former Falcon Works in Loughborough
    - Classic Car / Motorcycle Rally (Main Exhibits Saturday)
    - Bus Rally, including vintage bus tours around the local area (Sunday ONLY)
    - Vintage Commercial Vehicle Rally (Main Exhibits Monday)
    - Craft Fair
    - Trade Stands
    - Real Ale Festival at Ruddington, including evening entertainment
    - Evening Trains to Rushcliffe Halt (Saturday / Sunday ONLY. Discounted Fares available)

ADVANCE TICKET PRICES (1 / 2 / 3 Day);
    Ticket | Betton Grange 6880
    Adult - £13 / £24 / £32
    Child - £4 / £7 / £10
    Family (2+2) - £26 / £48 / £64

Further details to be released over the next few months.
    The ‘Closing the Gap’ Gala | Betton Grange 6880

3. Respite

Respite Member

Retired

Sounds great but I hope there is more action than on my recent visit! Loco work was very dull. Will trains still be getting propelled all the way back from Loughborough?

4. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Load 5-6 (at a guess), completely flat, straight line (near enough) at 25mph, with a 9F... I wouldn't hold your breath, it's not the 80s any more!

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

It will be interesting to see the other visitor . 61306 ?

Ultimately the Northern Section has somewhat been out of the limelight and this may offer a moment to put it back in again

6. lil Bear

Railway Technician

The information provided to 6880 members suggests Top & Tail will be predominantly utilised.

Initial suggestions are of a guest more local to GCR(N). Confirmation will be provided in the New Year.

7. Robert Heath No.6

Whiston? :eyebrows:

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

How do they run two trains on the GCR(N), does one do a shuttle to 50 steps while the other is in the long single line section from there to Loughborough ?.

9. Robert Heath No.6

Pass at Rushcliffe Halt. I'm not sure if the station loop's in use yet, or if they still pass just North of the station?

(based on diesel galas, anyway)

10. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

They pass at the station at Ruscliffe Halt.

11. GCR567 Project

GCR567 Project New Member

The Loughborough to Ruddington section of the Great Central has 6 miles of 1 in 176, 4 miles facing the up direction and 2 facing the down direction, not exactly completely flat and it is most certainly not straight, however as a former main line it does not have the curves of a branch line.

Locomotive working may not appear very exciting but the resident locomotives have proved to be more than capable of doing the job with trailing loads of up to 280 tonnes as has recent visitor Whiston. With nearly 10 miles of line, options for frequent movements are constrained by journey times, departures approximatley by hour intervals are possible and are operated on event occasions.

The completion of track alterations at Rushcliffe halt, in early 2012 enabled the passing of two trains in the station. It can be expected that future events will feature more activity centred on Rushcliffe with the recent developments at the station. A new platform shelter in the style of the original but much more robustly constructed was completed on the Up platform during the summer of 2012, and a similar structure is being completed on the Down platform now. Plans are now under development for the restoration of Hotchley Hill signal box.

There are many opportunities for developments on the line including the stations at East Leake and Ruddington and developments at the Ruddington Fields headquarters. New volunteers always welcome!

12. Robert Heath No.6

If you're saying that's going to tax the 9F, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong...

13. sootyxfd

sootyxfd Member

No I do not currently volunteer

Well, my understanding of Barnstone Tunnel to Ruddington was that it is so straight and so FLAT that the speeds achived on that bit of line were with in the highest on the entire line.

Also , Watkins idea of the GCR was that is was as FLAT and as STRAIGHT as possible, 1 in 176 is nothing for a 9f and has been proven many times on the Southern section of the line with the best part of 400 Ton's hanging off the draw hook !

14. GCR567 Project

GCR567 Project New Member

92203 is not resident but will be a very welcome visitor

15. sootyxfd

sootyxfd Member

Never said Black Prince wouldnt be a welcome visitor.... nice to see it else where before shes sold to a new owner!

From memory theres not many places between Rushcliff Haul and the footcrossing the other side of Barnstone Tuneel where you can make use of the lineside with out actully going lineside

16. Robert Heath No.6

With the best will in the world, it just won't... I wish the gala every success, but come on, it's not the Moors, is it? The GCRN have their own USPs, but please don't claim to offer impressive loco performances if it can't be delivered at 25mph! If this were the 80s and locos on preserved lines were tearing up and down at 45mph+ on a regular basis (I'm not pointing to specific examples, but come on, it's well documented that it happened) then maybe, but not now. I'm keen to be proven wrong here, of course. Maybe the 9F will run with a rake heavy enough to provide a stirring performance as it slogs up the 1in176 banks - 35 or so mk1s behind it should do the job!

Please don't just dismiss this as having a dig at the GCRN, but read what I've actually put. The GCRN has attractions which are worthy of pushing in its advertising, but there's really no point in getting peoples' hopes up with promises which can't reasonably be delivered. Tanfield don't claim to be a main line trunk route, the Paignton and Dartmouth don't claim to be a faithful recreation of a Victorian railway operation, a 9F at Ruddington won't make for an impressive performance (save, maybe, 'fastest acceleration in preservation'); it's just the way of the world!

17. mike redditch

mike redditch New Member

It just seems like another bad decision by the 6880 board

18. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  19. jamesd

jamesd Member

How will this make money for 6880, have they hired the line like they did with Llangollen for the SSS galas?

20. lil Bear

Railway Technician

Basically 6880 provides volunteers to help run the event, and assist with promotion. Costs are split 50/50 with GCR(N), and so is any profit.