If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

First Capital Connect Class 377s

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Dan Hill, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    (Sorry if in wrong thread)When I got to Haywards Heath this morning I noticed the 8.06 FCC Brighton service was formed of Southern 377s and on the end were some FCC 377s. So are these about to enter service

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

They're in service now - I had a ride on 377207 (paired with 377206) this morning, from St. Albans to Farringdon, where we passed 377501+377208 going the other way. I think those are the right pairings.

Approaching St. Pancras the driver (bless him) announced that they were having trouble with the automatic announcements 'due to the transition from a GPS-based system to a localised system', which I'm sure meant nothing to 99% of the passengers. This didn't really prepare us for the fiasco of arriving at St. Pancras and being unable to release the doors for a full five minutes though... then after leaving St. Pancras the train announced that we were approaching St. Pancras, and when we got to Farringdon there seemed to be a further delay (another five minutes) due, I think (don't quote me on this), to problems getting one of the pantographs down.

Hmm, teething troubles. :-k But yes they're in service.

I saw 377504 in the high level platforms at St. Pancras on 13/3/09 too, I suspect on driver training duties.

3. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Were they mixed with Southern because that was what I saw (Don't know the number but only saw it go across the road bridge. In fact just found a video of what I saw but at Clapham Junction and on a different date but that was what it was like. http://video.aol.com/video-detail/first ... IDURVTRV07

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The 377/2s are Southern, 377/5s are FCC. But at least some of the 377/2s running on the Thameslink route are on loan to FCC (there are stickers on the doors to this effect), as not all of the FCC units are ready. As per my earlier message, at least one 8 car set is running with a Southern and an FCC unit coupled. No doubt they'll get further mixed about as things go on.

Bear in mind also that the former Moorgate trains have been joined up with the former Blackfriars terminating trains so there are some new routes involved - trains from the Sevenoaks now going to Bedford in the peak, or reversing at Kentish Town off-peak. According to the timetable booklet these through services are jointly operated by both companies, so I'm not sure who is providing the stock.

Out of interest do the 377s and 319s have compatible couplings, should the need arise for a 'push out' in the event of failure?

Finally, with the closure of Moorgate I suppose we've seen the last of the 317s on the route - thank goodness, they must be the most uncomfortable trains I've ever had the misfortune to commute in!

Phil

5. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

I believe the Southern units are on hire to FCC to cover while the new units are introduced and bedded in to service. These have been taken off the Southern diagram from East Croydon - Milton Keynes via West Brompton, so that service is being run temporarily by hired in 350/1s from London Midland, which is run I believe by Go Ahead just as Southern is, creating the rare sight of an LM unit south of the Thames on the third rail.

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Err, no! 2 units have gone back over as cover due to the late delivery of the 377s. It's meant a couple of GN services have been reduced in length in the morning and evening peaks. It should only be for a couple of months hopefully. I'm not sure where they reverse, but Moorgate is still an option as the branch will stay open until December for ECS moves.

7. Edward

Edward Member

Don't be silly, that would be far too sensible!

8. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Saw my first 6 coach train of the FCC's.