If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Fantasy Great Britain III

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 05micfis, May 13, 2009.

1. 05micfis

05micfis Member

This is the motive power I would like on the tour if it is confirmed:

First day, 70013: Victoria-Reading-Bath-Bristol TM.

Second day, 5043+5029: Penzance-Plymouth-Exeter-Bristol

Third day, 5690: Bristol-Hereford-Chester-Altrincham-Manchester Victoria

Fourth day, 44871+45407: Manchester Victoria-Bolton-Blackburn-Settle-Carlisle-Edinburgh (including a exclusive trip round the Edinburgh loop)

Fifth day, 61994: Edinburgh Waverley-Dundee, 62005+61994: Dundee-Aberdeen-Inverness

Sixth day, 62005: Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh and return

Seventh day, 61994+62005: Inverness-Perth-Glasgow Central

Final day, 45407+45231: Glasgow Central-Kilmarnock-Carlisle-Shap-Crewe

2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Re: The Great Britain III

Facinating! How much of this is speculation? The Beano hinted that RTC might do another GB, and possibly next Easter, but there was no mention of any routes or locos. Do you have more up-to-date information, perhaps access to RTC's "thinking aloud", or is this just what you'd go for, personally, if you were the train planner?

Anyway, to your suggestions. Assuming an 11 coach train (8 on Day 6)
    - Day 1: How about Waterloo - Salisbury - Exeter hauled by Lord Nelson? The Southern fraternity have been rather overlooked on previous GBs (though Tangmere did a very good "Thunderbird" impression this year!)
    - Day 2: I like the double-headed Castles idea, but we know that Castles can't work west of Hayle at the moment. You either need some bridges to be fixed, or a "Plan B". I'd choose 71000, adding 70013 between Plymouth and Exeter.
    - Day 3: What would 5690's maximum load be on Filton and Llanvihangle banks? Tangmere took 11 quite happily, Nunney struggled with 12 last year. I think you might need a stronger loco for an 11 coach train - which is a shame, because Leander would look (and sound) good on the North & West. Earl of Mount Edgecumbe would be my choice.
    - Day 4: I'd prefer Princess Elizabeth on the Shap & Beattock sections, assuming she's still in ticket, or Scots Guardsman (even though she did it this year).
    - Day 5: I like the idea of Aberdeen - Inverness. It's a lovely section of line. However, both the K1 and K4 are limited to 50 mph. That's perhaps a limitation for pathing over the Edinburgh - Aberdeen section, which I think is quite busy. It would be good if you can pull it off, but you might need another "Plan B". Maybe this is the section for a pair of Black 5s? 45305 is supposed to be returning to the main line later this year, so let's have her and 44871.
    - Day 6: the K4 is more powerful than the K1, so to get a decent length train, I think it might have to be the K4 to Kyle of Lochalsh - again (assuming double-heading is not on).
    - Day 7: Bringing a third loco up to Inverness just for this section is probably excessive, so use the same locos as Day 5; either K1+K4 if they can be pathed or two Black 5s if not.
    - Day 8: None of the GBs so far have used the Midland route, so why not return via Ais Gill with steam to Leeds and some suitable old diesel back to St Pancras, or maybe a Deltic to Kings Cross? We haven't had an LNER Pacific yet, so I'd choose Tornado or, if she's ready, Flying Scotsman. Not prototypical for Beattock, but spot-on for Edinburgh - Carlisle - Leeds, I'd say.

3. 05micfis

05micfis Member

OK, I have a plan B.

Day 1: 850: Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter SD

Day 2: 70013: Penzance-Plymouth, 76079+70013: Plymouth-Exeter-Bristol TM (Although I do wish Castles were cleared for that section. This is ideal for 76079, as she is planned to be at West Somerset for their Spring Gala and can run down to Plymouth a day before the railtour).

Day 3: 5043: Bristol-Hereford-Shrewsbury, 5690: Shrewsbury-Chester-Altrincham-Manchester Victoria (My other choice would be 6201 on the first section).

Day 4: 45407+45231: Manchester Victoria-Bolton-Blackburn-Hellifield, 6100: Hellifield-Settle-Carlisle-Edinburgh

Day 5: 44871: Edinburgh-Dundee, 45305+44871: Dundee-Aberdeen-Inverness

Day 6: 45305: Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh and return (No offence but I am getting a bit tired of seeing 61994 on the line, although we could have her as back up if the load is too heavy for 45305).

Day 7: 61994+62005: Inverness-Perth-Glasgow Central

Day 8: 60163: Glasgow Central-Kilmarnock-Carlisle-Settle-Leeds

Then Deltic back to Kings Cross.

I've got to include double headed Black Fives somewhere in the run, there just my favourite combination. \:D/

This is my idea of the run, none of it is confirmed.

4. Steamage

Great. Just a few small alterations, if I may:

Day 2: 76079 is limited to 60 mph. Not a problem in Cornwall nor over Dartmoor. Take 76079 all the way from Penzance (70013 was going to be allowed 10 in Cornwall this year, but I think that would have been very marginal) but leave her at Newton Abbott or maybe Exeter, to get full 75 mph running across the Somerset Levels - and even more noise through Burlescombe! (Ian R. might even be able to pick up some more "guest loco" steaming fees at the P&D afterwards.)

Day 4: 6100 all the way - or is there a gauging limit between Man Vic and Hellifield? (You get your double Black 5s later ;-) ) And since we're returning via the S&C, let's go out via Shap?

Day 6: I know what you mean about 61994 (How can we say such things? Spoilt brats or what?!) Good luck with 45305. I'll be at the reverse curves at the top of Glen Carron with my video camera, to record her progress on the return. I think 6 coaches is the limit for a "Five", 8 for the K4 and maybe 7 for the K1?

I do enjoy a good game of Fantasy Railtours! \:D/

5. 05micfis

05micfis Member

I've decided that 6100 will run from Man Vic-Edinburgh via Shap & Beattock and that 45305 will be loaded to six to Kyle just to be on the safe side. 76079 & 70013 will double head from Penzance-Exeter SD, then Oliver Cromwell will run single headed to Bristol.

6. Steamage

11 unassisted over Sough and Wilpshire? That's cruelty to 5MTs! Maybe you'll have to take 45231 along after all. That means all 4 mainline Black 5s would be used on the tour.

7. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Sorry about that, :-# I edited my last post. I really hope that it turns into something rather special and this line up will be used. Should be well documented by Karl Jauncey and the rest of PSOV. I hope you get some really good shots and some new vantage points. I have watched a lot of your clips on You Tube and they are awe-inspiring, the coverage of the first Great Britain was simply awesome. I will be filming around Shap, Beattock and around Scotland.

8. Steamage

We were both editing posts after posting them! So, are you going to send our suggestions to Nigel Dobbing at RTC? It's never too soon to start planning these things...

9. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

I wouldn't bother sending ideas about motive power, and routes, anywhere near Kings Lynn

Send them to Carnforth where the real train planning is done.

Personally I think the idea of east up, west back, is the poorer option as it takes the drama out of much of the running, but I don't see why the S & C shouldn't figure apart from making main staging points every day. The Nith Valley sees little or no steam recently - but it is in such a bad way with single line sections and restrictions that its overall speed is pitiful.

Certainly Tornado showed that longer distances can be run in sensible overall times if water stops aren't protracted just for the sake of it.

Kyle line - 61994 I'm afraid is the only commercial option as 5407 showed last year. Scotrail overtook even 61994 each way this year just to keep time. Its a long way to send that other climber the 8F just for that leg, and The Marquess has a highland pedigree to boot.

10. jackprentice2007

jackprentice2007 Member

Day 1: Waterloo-Salisbury-Exeter SD - 30777+30850

Day 2: Penzance-Plymouth - 6204 Plymouth-Exeter-Bristol TM 61264+6024

Day 3: Shrewsbury-Chester-Altrincham-Manchester Victoria - 60163

Day 4: Manchester Victoria-Bolton-Blackburn-Hellifield, 6100: Hellifield-Settle-Carlisle-Edinburgh - 60019

Day 5: Edinburgh-Dundee - 6115 Dundee-Aberdeen-Inverness 6115,5972

Day 6: Inverness-Kyle of Lochalsh and return - 62005

Day 7: Inverness-Perth-Glasgow Central - 70013

Day 8: Glasgow Central-Kilmarnock-Carlisle-Settle-Leeds - 60009

Thats how id have it 8-[

11. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Brilliant idea, although I am in serious doubt that 61264 will return to the mainline as the NYMR are wanting her for a extensive period on the Whitby runs. :-k Also, both Scots Guardsman & Olton Hall might be a bit out of guage for the Aberdeen-Inverness branch. Overall, I think you planned that out really well and hope it goes to plan.

12. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

Personally I would prefer 71000 throughout. \:D/

We can dream can’t we?

13. 05micfis

05micfis Member

I would love to see 71000 on the full tour, but I prefer a change of loco(s) on different legs, as it gives us the chance to see them on their old stomping grounds and makes the tour more epic. For Day 3, I would love to see 45699 with Leander on the Shrewsbury to Manchester leg, depending if Galatea's ready in time.

14. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

How many times has 61994 been to Kyle? Have there been a load of secret runs that I've missed?

15. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer

How about an 'exchange' or 'interloper' theme - get The Great Marquess and LMS stuff etc down to Penzance and send a King and Castle to Scotland! (and watch all the poor support crews die of fatigue from the LE movements #-o )

16. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Moderators,

Can we change the title of this thread to "Speculation about The Great Britain III", so that if and when RTC formally announce whether it is happening we can start a new thread which isn't preceded by numerous pages of speculation?

17. Steamage

Or maybe "Fantasy Great Britain III", because this isn't even informed speculation - it's just flights of fancy! Also, "What's Going On" is probably the wrong place for it...

18. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

And some of it no even realistic fantasy! #-o =D>

19. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Id like to see for a future GB tour (not 3)

Day 1 Victoria-Bristol 34067 and 35028
    Day 2 Penzance Bristol 5043 and 5029
    Day 3 Bristol-Preston 6100 and 46115
    Day 4 Preston-Edinburgh 6233 and 6201
    Day 5 Edinburgh-Kings Cross 60163 and 60532/4472

I know must are the same or similar class but still.

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Day 1: 34046: Waterloo -Exeter

Day 2: 34067: Penzance - Bristol with 30850 added at Plymouth

Day 3: 70013: Bristol - Preston

Day 4: 46233 : Preston - Perth

Day 5: 60009 : Perth - Inverness

Day 6: 61994 : Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh and back.

Day 7: 61994 + 62712 aka 246 (yes I know it's not main line certificated but this is supposed to be a fantasy after all) Inverness - Aberdeen - Edinburgh

Day 8: 60800 Edinburgh - York 60103 York - Kings Cross