If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Enter the black 5 minefield can anyone help me with a loco.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 1T57, Feb 3, 2009.

1. 1T57

1T57 New Member

Hi guys i am looking for some information really on a black 5 which spent its final days at Rosegrove in 67. The loco is 44909 & i am looking to find out was it lined or unlined & also if anyone has any photos in color of the engine could they post here. The reason i ask for this is that i am currently having a black 5 kit built for my model railway & i want a bit more info on the engine & also a photo to weather the model too. Its a bit of a minefield i know any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager
    It had a boiler change in October 1963, to boiler 12222 fitted new to 4902, so there's a good chance it was lined. There is a photo in the RCTS list of of it taken in April 1964, only in the background though.

For your info, it seems to have always carried a 28 element boiler with the dome and top feed on the tapered ring.

3. miket

miket New Member

I have a b/w shot of the loco, 44909 in store at Rosegrove down sidings in October 1967, this area is now the Motorpoint Burnley Car Supermarket site !
    44909 came to Rosegrove shed from 1E Bletchley shed on that sheds closure on 5 July 1965, was withdrawn in Sept 1967 and in store at Rosegrove from 9.67-1.68. It was scrapped in 2.68 at Cashmore's Great Bridge.
    MikeT

4. 1T57

1T57 New Member

Mike is their any chance of a photocopy of the 5 at Rosegrove? I would love to see that image.

Thanks

Simon.