If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Electric Railtour- Sarah Siddons - Sunday 17th May

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by timmydunn, May 13, 2009.

1. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    More info: http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whatson/468.aspx

Now that it is owned by the LT Museum it is required to haul a certain number of trains each year for the public - these ones look rather good.

From the website:

Special tickets for travel on these trains must be pre booked.
    Sarah Siddons, the oldest working main line electric locomotive in Britain will make special trips between Harrow-on-the-Hill, via Rickmansworth to Amersham on Sunday 17 May as part of the Rickmansworth Festival
    Engine no. 12, Sarah Siddons, was built in 1922 and is the last operational Metropolitan Railway electric locomotive; the only surviving working engine out of 20 built by Metropolitan Vickers and named after real or fictitious people associated with the area served by the Metropolitan Railway. The engines had a top speed of 65 miles per hour.
    Sarah will pull carriages dating back to the 1950s and will make four trips.

A vintage bus service including the Museum's prototype Routemaster bus RM1 will run from Rickmansworth station to the Rickmansworth Festival site at Batchworth Lock.

2. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I am old enough to remember the changeover from steam/electric haulage and vice versa at Rickmansworth,a very slick operation.My Great Grandfather was Station Master at Rickmansworth in the early 1920s.(Long before my time!!)
    Colin.

3. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Colin - would that explain the very short (loco-length) bay platform at the UP line, London end? Was that where the electric loco was stabled for changeover from steam coming in from Aylesbury/Verney Junction?

4. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    Yes,that rings a bell,and I seem to recollect there were walking boards between the rails for the shunter to couple/uncouple locos,this called for very accurate stopping.Strangely I have no recollection of the northbound arrangements or where the steam loco was stabled.My Grandfather was Station Master at Grandborough Road and later Croxley Green.Late 1920s and early 1930s. Colin.

5. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    From memory there was a steam loco stabling/service point just beyond the road under-bridge at the country end of the station on the 'Down' side.

6. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I think the bay platform at the London end may also have been used by a local shuttle service to Watford as well.
    Rickmansworth used to boast of having the fastest loco change in the country from steam to electric and vice versa.

Paul

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Were the trains were air-braked? Did they carry out a brake test as part of the traction change?

8. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No, they were vac, but No. 12 had its vac equipment removed in the early 60s. I'm not sure however if they were initally dual braked.