If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Eden Valley Railway, 12th May 2019 - Cumbrian Boat Train

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by RSH8343, Apr 22, 2019.

1. RSH8343

RSH8343 New Member

Not a comment on the level of rain we often encounter in the North Pennines, but a bit of fun regarding the operation of the Eden Valley Railway's MLVs & a 4-CEP, utilising the battery power of our two operational MLVs (S68003 & S68005). This has not happened for at least eight years, but following the acquisition of new batteries for the MLVs a running day has been organised.

On Sunday 12th May the passenger service on the Eden Valley Railway will be in the hands of the MLVs hauling & propelling 4-CEP 2315. An hourly service from Warcop is planned with departures from 1100 to 1600 and normal admission prices will apply. As I understand it the length of line currently in use at Warcop is 2 miles 19 chains, so a full day's travel (if anyone can cope with it, other than the driver and guard) would be 26 miles and 68 chains.

It is hoped, if this running day is successful, to repeat it once a month until October this year, although future dates have not yet been decided.

More at http://www.evr-cumbria.org.uk/Cumbrian% ... 0Train.htm

2. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is the old eden valley line still used into appleby from warcop do trains still run to appleby anymore on the eden valley line after the M.O.D. stopped using it?

3. RSH8343

RSH8343 New Member

After the MOD stopped using the line it fell into disuse and was sold off by BRB (Residuary) in the late 1990s. Although the Eden Valley Railway's DEMU 205009 and 4-CEPs 2311 and 2315 came to Warcop by rail (via the Settle & Carlisle and the headshunt at Appleby) in the mid 2000s the only part currently usable is from Warcop Station to a point known as Southfields some 2.2 miles towards Appleby.

4. Davo

Davo Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Is the eden valley N.E. is the route still connected at appleby cos i believe there were always plans to join the kirkby stephen east stainmore railway society and the line from warcop is there any chance of that still happening although a bridge is pulled down over the river eden i think between warcop and kirkby stephen east.

5. RSH8343

RSH8343 New Member

The Eden Valley Railway was worked by the North Eastern Railway, then the LNER and BR's North Eastern Region until it was transferred to the London Midland Region in the mid 1950s.

The connection to the Settle & Carlisle line at Appleby is still there, as I alluded to above, although at the moment the line is impassable in places and the level crossing to the west of Appleby East Station has been tarmacked over.

I believe the long term ambition of the Stainmore Railway is to reach Warcop, although it will not be an easy task. There is a missing viaduct at Musgrave and a lot of the old formation has been lost to farmland.

6. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is 47799 still operational? Not heard much from you guys for a while!

7. RSH8343

RSH8343 New Member

The owner of 47799 has been working his way through the mass of wiring in the loco, renewing or removing where necessary. As I understand it the only thing left to be fixed is to do with the ETH (apologies for being a bit vague, but I am not at all mechanically or electrically minded). The big lump of Sulzer engine has always worked since 47799 arrived at Warcop, so I think it will not be too long before the loco is in full working order again.

lil Bear likes this.