If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Early Glass Plate Negatives

Discussion in 'Photography' started by FlyingScotsman4472, Nov 28, 2011.

1. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Earlier this year I was fortunate to purchase some very early glass plate negatives. These came in two separate buys the first lot of negatives were taken by a very talented photographer by the name of Mr.G.J.Dyrsdale,who came from the Liverpool area and should you know more about him please get in touch? The second lot sadly no photographer is known only that they were found during a house clearance. The seller found them whilst clearing his late God Mothers house she was a commercial photographic
    printer and did work for various railway photographers. All the images were purchased with copyright please respect this. Some of the negatives have been scanned and can be viewed here

LMS Royal Scot 6131 Planet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is perhaps the best of Drysdale glass negatives in my collection. Suggestions have been said that it was taken at Birmingham New St station rather than Euston?

LMS Princess Coronation class 6221 at Crewe North MPD | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I understand that this image appears in David Jenkinson's book Profile of the Duchesses no photographer named just authors collection.

LMS 46165 unrebuilt Royal Scot near Bay Horse | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The envelope this negative came in was dated 1956 and said unrebuilt but this engine was rebuilt in 1952. The last of the class was rebuilt in 1955.

LMS Royal Scot 6101 Royal Scots Grey | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you have any ideas to the location on this one please get in touch. Again the envelope said Altrincham but one viewer said not?

London Rd station Altricham 1930's | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nice early view of the station at Altrincham

Please enjoy these superb glass plate negatives if you can add any information leave a comment many thanks.

Enjoy.....Simon

Flickr: FlyingScotsman4472's Photostream

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    LMS Royal Scot 6131 Planet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This is perhaps the best of Drysdale glass negatives in my collection. Suggestions have been said that it was taken at Birmingham New St station rather than Euston?

Tend to agree - it looks like New St's Midland Platform 7 (note the curved platform) which means that the train would be a Cross-Country inter-regional service

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    It's amazing the quality in regard of the sharpness and detail, OK so there's some degredation but they are still very crisp.

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I think it's New Street too.

The photo of Altrincham shows the track layout prior to electrification. The junction (Bowden Jc?) was moved towards the station on electrification and this can be seen in the later picture of Flying Scotsman at this location. I don't know when the signal box was modified with the diagonal window. This location now has four tracks, two for the trams and two for the mainline railway. All four are signalled for bi-directional working, I wonder if that arrangement is unique?

Regards

5. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    On the Bay Horse shot there seems to be a marked absence of any coaches in 'plum and spilt milk', which would indicate immediate post-nationalisation - 1948/49? She's definitely on the 'up.'

6. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    I acquired a box of negatives including some glass which turned out to be NBR at Inverkeithing and on the Forth Bridge. They are pin sharp and excellent after at least ninety years