If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Disused railway between Merthyr Tydfil and the site of the Brecon Mountain Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Great Western, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good evening,

I had a rather nice walk along the 'Taff trail' this afternoon from Merthyr Tydfil to Pant via the viaduct that crosses the valley.

I came across a tunnel mouth close to the site of the now Brecon Mountain Railway, the former railway forms a junction controlled via a part demolished signal box! The one line curves away following the valley to run onto the now mountain railway formation, and the other line to the right into the hill side via a tunnel. Which is unblocked at this end at least.

I've looked on google earth, but can see another exit to the tunnel ? I plan to go back on the weekend with suitable equipment and walk as far though as possible, but I'd like to be sure there is another exit before I set out!

I've attached a picture of the tunnel mouth maybe someone could ID the tunnel for me?
    Also attached is a picture of the old signal box, its remarkable considering the line closed in 63 , that the box is so well persevered. The locking room window and door are clearly visible, but the upper wooden cabin has long gone.

Another thing, once we've ID the tunnel, my wife has a........ability to sense the 'other side' when we were the tunnel mouth she felt the presence of a women and sorrow, the date 14/04/1912. I wondering if there is any history attached to this date and location ?

Many Thanks

Great Western

Attached Files:

2. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    On google maps there seems to be a cutting and tunnel mouth right in the middle of Pant, with a formation running off towards Dowlais Top. The cutting points in about the right direction for the location I think you are describing, which might be the site of Morlais Junction. Might be the very end of the LNWR Heads of the Valleys route.

3. Great Western

Great Western Member

Thanks for the reply, are you referring to this cutting? If it is the other month I'd suggest its going to be all bricked up, seeing as it appears to be in the middle of a housing estate.

Thanks

Great Western

Attached Files:

4. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

Yes that's the one I meant. It does seem unlikely to be open, but it might still be worth looking.

5. Great Western

Great Western Member

I'm going to have a look there first, then either way I'll have a little walk inside from the other end :) looks like a triangle off the heads of the valleys line.

Any idea what the tunnel and signal box were/are called ?

Regards

Great Western

6. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

That was the date when Titanic hit the iceberg (At 11.40pm local time) Perhaps a local resident was on board?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17595890
    None obvious; but as they say, a lot of the crew had addresses in Southampton and may have originated elsewhere.

7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Great Western likes this.
  8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Reference to Jowett's Railway Atlas (Page 96) suggests that the line from Pant to Dowlais Top is part of the Alexandra (Newport & South Wales) Dock Railway whilst further details on Page 102 shows a line from Morlais East Junction heading south into a tunnel that appears in the open just north of Pantysgallog and continues to Dowlais High St; this line is the London & North Western line that continues to Rhymney Bridge where the line joins the LNW & Rhymney Joint line continuing to Abergavenny. At Morlais East Jn the line continues west to Morlais Junction where the line continues to Merthyr Tydfil as the Brecon & Merthyr and LNW Joint Rly.

Jowett identifies a number of "companies" operating lines in the area but Pages 96 / 102 identify all signal boxes; junctions and colliery lines that operated in the area and shows how far the LNW was prepared to"encroach" in order to win traffic; a book worth buying if you can find a copy.

9. rule55

rule55 Member

I'm not sure that the A(N&SW)D got anywhere near Merthyr. I don't have any reference material nearby as I'm away from home but I would hazard a guess at Pant to Dowlais Top being B&M.

There's a clickable map of the area here but the key is a little hard to decipher. If you click on the various parts of the map you'll find photographs of the various locations. Also of interest might be some of the aerial photographs here.

10. Great Western

Great Western Member

11. Great Western

Great Western Member

I've found this site, http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/morlaisjunction.htm

Excellent pictures of the tunnel, and signal box. I'm surprised how tall the signal box was.

Also 28 Days later have also been through the tunnel in November last year, both ends are open so looks like I've got a bit of a walk on Sunday!

Great Western

12. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Apologies - both the A(N&SW)D and B&M lines are shown in blue BUT having re-looked at the shades of blue I agree you are correct that the line between Pant and Dowlais Top IS the Brecon & Merthyr Rly.

13. TB3

TB3 New Member

Morlais Tunnel is an excellent walk - make sure to have a torch though because there's a lot of abandoned cars down there and you can quite suddenly walk into them.

Access from both ends is quite easy - the only obstacle is a bit of water at either portal, and although the southern end is accessible, you have to get through a hole in the fence that divides the old cutting from the housing estate.

Interestingly the tunnel isn't that deep in places, and goes right under the BMR terminus (you can see the pepperpot ventilation shafts in the station car park and by the front door) - in fact I was able to get a mobile phone signal standing under one of the shafts.

14. Great Western

Great Western Member

That's great I've got a new high powered lamp for work to assist me, and a Whislte just in case!

Great Western