If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Diesels delivering steam!

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Deepgreen, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just an observation, really. It struck me yesterday as I photographed 37706 bringing the stock for the Cathedrals Express to Bristol into Waterloo, that these must be the heaviest trains a single class 37 is asked to handle on the main line these days. Yesterday's load was 12 coaches plus the 'Black 5' (44932), making up the equivalent of about 15 coaches. I imagine the steam could assist if necessary, but I don't believe this actually happens.

2. Coboman

Coboman Member

I've a few pictures of fairly small diesels on massive trains that are empty stock movements. I suppose as long as there arn't any steep hills its not a problem as acceleration between stations is not an issue. I have one of a class 15 with 16 on I suppose this would have been two rakes being brought in in one go. The best I have is of an 03 with 46 mineral wagons on!!!
    Jim

3. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Had 9539 on 1st diesel to Chelt Racecourse and return loaded to 12, see attached link to PD site

http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/2004/9539_8.htm

Fotunately I was hanging out 1st coach otherside! Probably one of the best GW diesel thrashes of all time.

Stopped at Winchcombe to cool transmission oil!

Complaints in Cleeve about the dirty acrid smoke from the little green steam engine!

4. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

D8142 shunted a rake of 20 MkII coaches when it was on hire at Long Marston many years ago.

5. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks all for the examples, but my point really was that on busy main lines, where paths need to be adhered to, the example of single class 37s hauling 15 coach-equivalent loads seems quite brave in today's 'blame-culture' railway environment. Preserved and shunting movements do not encounter the same tight constraints.

6. That's true in most cases but there are tight constraints for heritage railways if there is a main line service involved at the time eg getting the train off or back onto the mainline. The WSR often gives outgoing main line trains priority over its own trains to attempt or ensure right-time delivery to the main line.

Steve

7. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

Hmm, why is there a tail lamp on the leading coach in the formation?