If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dean Forest Railway Steam Gala 23-25 May 2015

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by JBTEvans, Dec 28, 2014.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Over the Whitsun Bank Holiday Weekend in 2015 the Dean Forest Railway will be holding a Steam Gala '3 days of intensive steam running, including visiting engines.' according to their 2015 leaflet.

This does however clash with the well established GWSR Steam Gala over that weekend too, but as the railways are within 30 miles of one another it might be worth popping to both especially if travelling to the area and staying a few nights.

There is also a mixed traction weekend over Sat/Sun 11th/12th April and a Diesel Gala (with ale festival - and again the 2015 leaflet promises visiting engines) over Friday 4th-Sunday 6th September at the DFR in 2015.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

I'm so excited that the DFR is finally having visiting steam engines for a gala again! Any ideas on what they might be?

3. JBTEvans

No idea! It was awesome having 7802 in 2006, 30587 in 2009 and 3717 in 2010 with 5521 a few times amongst her other commitments but I agree its nice to see that they plan to hire in next year :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Grrr, clashing with gwsr means I can't go to either, I'm on holiday in Yorkshire! :(
    Still, perhaps a visit the week after might be an idea as visiting locos might still be there. Clashing with gwsr means there's a good chance it won't be one of our locos going, as it seems to be for half the galas in the country at the moment!

5. JBTEvans

I think out of the GWSR fleet only 5542 would be able to run on the DFR anyway! The GWSR clan do get about a bit! I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a Manor isn't suitable anymore because of the wide cylinders and the platform at Whitecroft but don't quote me on that!

6. flying scotsman123

That's true, but if it's at the WSR or SDR instead at the time, they could lend it to the DFR I suppose! We sign very flexible contracts with loco owning groups it seems, which is great for them, as it means they get to travel about a lot, and great for the railway, as it's some publicity, but not so great if you want to go to a gala from here to see something different. Especially as in the next couple of years or so we'll have more locos than we need really, I suspect that there won't be many galas that won' feature something from here! MHR doesn't, which is one reason I'm going!

Back on topic, Could it be the Collet goods from SDR, that seems to be doing the rounds at the moment?

7. JBTEvans

3205 did visit the DFR circa 2001 although that wouldn't rule her out. Personally I'd like to see a Midland loco as of course the railway was both GWR & LMS and I think the only ex-midland engines to have run here in preservation have been 47383 and 41708 (plus 45407 made an appearence in 2007 as part of a railtour, although only at Lydney Jcn.. oh and Jintys as Thomas!).

8. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Is there any news on this?

9. JBTEvans

The event has been postponed it said on their facebook page about a month ago due to they couldn't get any locos in for it but no new date has been set as of yet. However, both 5541 and Wilbert will be running a two train service over the 23-25 May.

10. flying scotsman123

Ooh, that might mean I can go to it, although moving the date off the GWSR's gala may mean the guest will end up being a GWSR loco! Will definitely keep an eye on it now, as I haven't been to the DFR for years and years.

11. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    It amazed me, as someone who lived in Gloucestershire for 3 years, just how different the Forest of Dean feels from the Cotswold landscape through which the GWSR runs. They hardly feel like the same country. let alone the same county. Even though the DFR isn't running a gala, I hope the line picks up a few extra visitors from among those who are having a full weekend in the area to visit the GWSR gala but who may not want to spend all three days at Toddington. The DFR is a completely different experience, but full of character and equally worth doing. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if the Severn Valley might also try cash in on the "full weekenders" by steaming 34027 and 34053 to create a real Bulleid heaven when the GWSR gala is on, as the two lines are only an hour or so apart. Anyway, we shall see.

12. JBTEvans

Like I have said before on this thread I can't see any GWSR loco going to the DFR. 35006 and 4270 are too heavy. 2807 I can't see going it would look massive! I think Manor's are banned now since Whitecroft has been opened and why bother getting in 5542 when the DFR already have the true PFP in 5541!

13. Forest Rail

Forest Rail New Member

Hammer wielder!
    Regarding the Whitecroft situation, we're hoping to increase the clearance along the platform in the near future. Getting ready to get a passing loop sorted there. So if anybody fancied lending a hand, please come and bang on the door of the P/way undercroft, we'll take anyone!!

JBTEvans likes this.