If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dean Forest Railway Question

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by cymroglan, Apr 1, 2012.

1. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Hello! I believe that Thursday next, 5th April is scheduled as a mainline heritage diesel working at the Dean Forest. I'd love to know which loco is likely to be rostered that day!

2. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Dean Forest Railway
    Steam trains run on 4/6/7/8/9/11/18/22/28/29 April, Thomas the Tank Engine on 14/15 April and a Heritage Diesel Locomotive on 5 April.
    As their diesel fleetis at least 40 years old, itcould be any of them.
    Dean Forest Diesel Assoc. lists the status of the fleet; Currently operational are 08238, 31466 and E6001 so may well be the 08 & 31 double heading or TnT.

3. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Thanks, 22A, have you any idea which heritage diesel loco will be working on 5th April?

4. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Why would the 08 and 31 double head/TT? not like the 31 needs help and they can run around at either end after all.

5. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I really wish this railway well, but I find the lack of basic marketing know-how perplexing. Are they so successful and wealthy as to not need to attract diesel fans to a day specifically designed for diesel fans?
    There have been pleas for info on several forums including this one, but answer came there none! I happen to be free tomorrow and would travel the 100+ miles to their Heritage Diesel Locomotive day, and based on my usual behaviour, would spend upwards of £50 on the railway. However, I'm not prepared to undertake this journey without knowing which loco they will turn out.
    So it's Swanage here I come to enjoy the M7 and the dmu!

6. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

Indeed, frustrating. I've had similar problems with them in the past, but living 35 miles away, am more inclined to take a gamble, as there's other (non railway) things I can do nearby.

Fairly sure it'll be 31466 or possibly E6001 tomorrow as 27066 is a bit poorly with traction motor problem, and both Teddy Bears are unwell, though D9521 was advertised for the last two Sundays (when I could have visited), but later advised as still needing repairs. Doubt they'd use an 08, too slow!

7. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Thanks for your reply - I always worry that a mildly critical post can trigger an angry "how dare you.." diatribe. I really do wish them well and would have loved to have gone there today. Still, Swanage gained - I bought a dvd, book, 2013 (!) calendar, 2 snacks and an all day rover. 4 locos in steam, a 33 out & about as well as the dmu on the diesel turn.

8. D1074

D1074 Member

Just to let you know, D9521 is now back to working order. It is available for the Diesel Gala in May as its next duty.