If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Dean Forest Railway - a few pictures.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 45669, Oct 19, 2015.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Evening All,

I recently paid a visit to the Dean Forest Railway and a selection of pictures is now on Flickr. If anyone would like to have a look, this is the first one in the Photostream :

[​IMG]RD12507. Hunslet 0-6-0ST WILBERT at Lydney Junction on the Dean Forest Railway. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

Alternatively, they can be found in this album :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/sets/72157659344896190/

Riding on the Dean Forest Railway from Lydney Junction to Parkend reminded me of a railtour round the Forest of Dean that I went on in 1964. So I dug out my old pictures, scanned them and these too are also now on Flickr. Some are black & white and some are colour. Here are the links for anyone interested to see them :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/albums/72157651514985156 (colour pix)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/albums/72157631007552550 (b & w pix)

Hope that they are of interest.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    Spamcan81 and Martin Perry like this.
  2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Great pics Ron, especially the one of the high viaduct at Lydbrook. I frequently drive down that valley and you would never know there had been a viaduct there if you didn't know where to look.
    The 'other' Lydbrook viaduct, across the Wye, near Lydbrook junction station is still there, or was a couple of years ago. The bridge further upstream near Kerne Bridge station is long gone.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Interesting set of pics Ron.

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Still there, not far from me saw it last week and still standing then.
    Great Photos Ron. Thank you for sharing.

5. Forest Rail

Forest Rail New Member

Hammer wielder!
    Some utterly ace pictures there. Thank you for sharing.

6. 45669

Retired
    Glad you liked the pictures.

I've been doing some research on the internet and, with the help of a couple of other Flickr members, I have established that the Ross & Monmouth Railway bridge across the Wye at Lydbrook Junction is still in situ and in use as a public footpath. It's not in very good condition apparently, so what the future holds remains to be seen.

7. Pete Thornhill

That's the one. About 10-15 years ago they did do some work on it but they haven't touched it since then. It's not in the best condition that is correct.

8. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The ones from the Severn Bridge are fascinating and that you were 'allowed' to walk to the open chasm is amazing. Those really are a great set of pictures and thanks for the time spent in putting those up.

9. 45669

Retired
    Let's hope that they don't allow it to fall in the river!

10. 45669

Retired
    Glad that they are of interest. Life was a lot freer in those days. They trusted people not to fall off the end - and nobody did !

ilvaporista likes this.
  11. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Does anybody know the times of the mince pie specials after Christmas cannot see anything on the Website.

12. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    This has been asked on the railway society's facebook group, the answer was it is the November steam timetable - http://deanforestrailway.co.uk/events/detail/steam-days

I do feel the DFR need to up their game with their website, info seems to appear a day or so before an event.

13. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Absolutely cracking set of 50 year old photos you have uploaded there.

14. Pete Thornhill

http://deanforestrailway.co.uk/events/detail/mince-pie-special
    Timetable is on that link and was always there although it's missing if you go via the calendar link.

There was a major incident in Parkend yesterday, the police have closed every business there today and placed the whole village in lockdown. They haven't revealed what the incident is yet but hopefully it doesn't drag on into tomorrow when the railway is due to be back open for the first of their mince pie specials. If you are planning on visiting tomorrow it might be worth checking on the Gloucestershire Live website which is giving live updates - http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/parkend-lockdown-police-incident-975436

15. mikechant

mikechant Member

OK, I've read all I can find about this incident. I know the police have limited resources but it seems wrong to me that in these sort of situations (see also similar Cromer incident) their reaction seems to be 'we can't do much about it, just close your businesses until these people go away'. This seems to be tantamount to completely giving up and saying you are unable to 'keep the peace'. I feel as if this is a recent development and in the past the police would have been more 'pro-active'. Does anyone else feel this is the case or has it always been like this?

16. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Rennes on a mince pie special at Whitecroft

Attached Files:

17. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

30854 likes this.