If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cromer Beach Signal Box

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Johann Marsbar, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I paid a visit to the preserved Cromer Beach 'box today - an unpublicised attraction that deserves a lot more visitors than it seems to get!
    The site seems to fall under the remit of the NNR, who pay the important bills like site insurance etc, but the actual opening to the Public is down to about half a dozen volunteers, with the sign on the access gate of Holt Road in Cromer stating they are "open the first Saturday of the month" - hence my visit there today.
    In the event, I was told that "normally" there are members on site every Wednesday and Saturday - Basically if there isn't a padlock on the entrance gate, they will accept visitors.
    There is no admission charge and the people there today were very keen and knowledgeable about the site.
    It's interactive as well, so you get the chance to pull levers and work their demonstration point & signals!

Some photos.....

rDSCF7097.JPG
    rDSCF7113.JPG
    rDSCF7104.JPG
    rDSCF7103.JPG
    rDSCF7102.JPG

2. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What a hidden gem! I saw the first two pictures and thought - "that's nice - in solitary splendour" then saw that is actually next to the working NR railway...what a Fantastic location!