If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Converted heating coach

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Maunsell man, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    This may challenge a few of the older readers. Many, many moons ago a scourge appeared appeared on main line specials called ETHEL 1 and ETHEL 2 (Electric Train Heating Ex Locomotive). These were class 25(?) that were painted in raspberry ripple colours minus traction motors and were there to provide train heating on steam specials. This was around the mid 80's. The good old Steam Beano ran an appeal for a MK1 brake conversion with generating equipment installed. This vehicle was converted at much expense and ran for a few years and then disappeared. Does anyone know what happened to it as it wasn't around that long considering the money that was donated to it.

2. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Was it managed by SLOA at the time it entered service?

Dave

3. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    I believe so. There was a huge beano fanfare about it (for a change) it ran a few times and then seem to disappear from view. Is it still in service?

4. Consolidation Mike

Consolidation Mike New Member

35469 has been in continuous operation since it entered service following conversion by RFS Locomotives at the former Thomas Hill works at Kilnhurst. I was on one of its early runs over the settle and Carlisle and got down with many others at the water stop on route. 35469 was coupled directly behind the loco, a Jubilee, and was running. Some well informed gent stood close to me, less than 10 yards from 35469 said "I thought there was supposed to be that new generator car on this train" or words to that effect. He had clearly overlooked the fact that he had been warmed by the ETH all the way from Bradford where the Jubilee went on, and that there was a gentle hum and a warm breeze eminating from the leading coach!

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yep, still around, now in blood and custard again, and fitted with new seat covers and curtains. I believe it's fitted with the same engine as a class 156 DMU! Connected up to a generator obviously.

7. chessie

chessie Member

Isn't all of the OOC stock at Eastleigh now?

8. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A lot was still at OOC last week!

9. chessie

chessie Member

I don't know this for sure, it's just that I had a nose down Campbell Road the other day, I could certainly see some evidence of 'heritage' stock in the EWS depot. When i was at the MHR on Sunday I asked a fellow volunteer what it was (he works for Knights in the loco works over the road) and that's what he told me, ie that it was the Riviera stock which was at OOC .