If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Conservation workshop: the Crimson Crab

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by National Railway Museum, Jul 15, 2010.

1. National Railway Museum

National Railway Museum New Member

We have recently placed LMS Crab No. 2700 in the conservation workshop at Shildon for Phil Anderson to work his magic on, returning the loco to LMS Crimson Lake – as it was when first built as 13000 with its number on the tender and a crest on the cabside.

The loco will be finished during the autumn, and moved to York for display early in 2011. Followers of this blog will remember that Phil painted the GNR J52 saddle tank back to its guise as 1247 last year, so we look forward to another superb job and a refreshed image for another part of the collection.

[​IMG]On the evening of 5 July, the Crab was placed in the workshop at Shildon and separated from its tender for initial conservation repair work before painting could begin

[​IMG]Rubbing down and cleaning has commenced, goodbye 2700!

[​IMG]An excerpt from a 1926 LMS official poster, showing 13000 as we hope it will soon look

Filed under: Rail vehicle collections [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That will look good - are there any physical changes required to put the loco into the correct condition to match the livery?

3. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

From a distance, no, but no doubt that there are probably half a dozen or so minor differences that can be seen if you know what you're looking for.

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So 13000 should be in the same liviery as the Compound. Be a nice comparision should 1000 move to Shildon or York after its loan runs out at Highley.

5. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Very true Tony, we did agonise a bit over it, but then considered the final result outweighed the details. So yes, all those who are ready to pick me up over it all - I know... :)

6. thetriangman

thetriangman New Member

It will look Fab, much better than Black, a good match for the Midland Compound livery wise.

7. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    This is great news tho I wish we could have the compound in steam again