If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Computer Upgrade - ACCESS Query

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Fred Kerr, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section - Moderators please move as appropriate.

I am currently considering an upgrade from a PC using Windows XP to the latest I-MAC BUT I have been alerted to potential problems transferring my ACCESS Photography Database onto the new platform as ACCESS is one of the few software packages that Microsoft protects.

Has anyone made an upgrade from PC to I-MAC with ACCESS files and have they had any problems either doing so OR using the Database afterwards.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance / suggestions.

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Pc to mac yes and issues No...

The issues around MS access were mostly around version (not window to mac), but 2003/7/10 where many changes were made and going backwards to an older format could be problematic.

There's a couple of workarounds (the most obvious being keep a back up of the original and only work with copies until your sure)... But you can export/import or link the data, or keep it in a compatible but not access format.

in short theres not a great deal of risk, and keep an original.

Will you be frequently flipping the db between windows and mac ? ( I ghosted my pc also and made it virtual on my mac using parallels, so I can run windows (as my old pc, including its software, including office on windows) also on my mac screen

3. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

"Parallels" would appear to be your best bet Fred, LINK.

4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    My intention is to totally move platforms IF the MAC can handle the files once transferred from the PC. My use of the PC is mainly transitory (use of internet); and most files I use / need are in WORD format or are based on applications which can also be loaded onto the MAC hence my concern that the ACCESS files can be transferred. In simple terms it's wasted money spending £1000 + only to find that ACCESS is not usable thus forcing me to upgrade via Windows #8 which I am reluctant to do at this stage given its newness.