If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Closure of West Coast Wilderness Railway

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by 1802, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 1802

1802 New Member

Very bad news from Tasmania today: Federal Group to shut wilderness railway | The Examiner

I hope this announcement is as much a political move as it is a genuine decision, time will tell. My heart goes out to all my friends on the railway......

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Presume that 'The Federal Group' are a commercial operator? What chance an enthusiast group getting in there?

3. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Visiting this railway in2001+ 2003 was a highlight. The whole line is fantastic. The work needed to reopen was immense.
    myRTC group were impressed by the excellent catering,attitude and tourist facilities. We even managed a runpast at the summit as wells the easier flat section at Queentown. This line is truly exceptional. Elderly locos , rack, tropical veg, amazing history brought back from the dead.
    Austaria has lost a lot in recent years and Tasmania is a shadow of even 10 yrs for mainline steam.

taking over this remote line would not be easy without a base in Tasmania......

loco crews and general staff were all friendly......I really hope it gets taken over and steam retained.