If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Class 24 at Gloucester Warwickshire Rly

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by cymroglan, Feb 6, 2012.

1. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

I've tried my friend Google, lest our witty friend advises it, again (yawn).

I reckon the Class 24 at the GWR is the only example of the class anywhere near my South of England home.

Several sites, including the railway's own, list it as operational. Does anyone know whether this is true, and, even better, proposed date or dates of operation this year?

2. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This month's Railways Illustrated shows the loco inside a shed undergoing bodywork/repaint. So I would imagine the loco, even if mechanically fully operational, will not be working until this work is completed.

3. eddief

eddief Member

I am not sure where you are based but you would probably be right in saying it is the lcosest to your home - there are 4 24's preserved which are as follows:-

24032 - NYMR
    24054 - East Lancs Railway
    24061 - NYMR
    24081 - GWSR

Of these the only one I know is running is 24061 (D5061) but I stand to be proved wrong by those who work on the ELR and know more about their 24 than me.

4. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Reading in a recent magazine (or forum, sadly cannot remember which), it is hoped that 24054 should return to service at some point during this year.

5. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Thank you all for the info.