If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Clan Line on the VSOE

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by simon, Apr 10, 2010.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Few people seemed out for Clan Line yesterday (and apologies if this is a duplicated thread but I used search and nothing came up)

Anyway a couple of shots of Clan Line in exactly the same location but 3 months to the day apart - although the snow seems longer ago that that.

Jan 9th:

http://simon71.fotopic.net/p62860879.html

April 9th

http://simon71.fotopic.net/p64166878.html

2. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    Im afraid CLAN LINE is now taken for granted,the same thing happened to when the Flying Scotsman was pulling the VSOE coaches.
    First it's on a very limited route around London,Im sure if it went further afield,where most of the rail enthusiast live,things might be different.

Second,the rolling stock isn't for the rail enthusiast to get his teeth into,or in otherwords,travel on because of the expense-it's for a refined clientele with money.Nothing against that,but it's the way the mind works,sort of 'out of bounds',maroon/green branding seems to be the flavour at the moment and eccessible.

3. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

I always like going to see her, though I was tied up yesterday and missed it.

Here is a clip of 3 locations from the March trip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NAPM4Ei-rY

In my other videos on Youtube, there's some other footage of her from January at Virginia Water and Shalford, and some of her at Ascot last Summer on the way to Oxford:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXE_ZpidJRo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViAMEcHfk1Y

Very nice engine and very nice train
    Haven't been on it yet, I'm saving up and trying to get a bit more refined :yo:

4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm not so sure about that. Compare the difference between the beautifully restored VSOE coaches behind Clan Line to that being hauled by the Duchess today.
    On Wednesday Clan Line hauls the VSOE through the Avon valley to Bath and Bristol. I'll be there. <BJ>

5. aperture

aperture Member

My very point,Mr.Free2
    Get it out of the London bound circuit and others will be interested.
    Anyway,most of the VSOE trips are during the weekday (unless unemployed,nightworker or a pensioner) when can you view.Only at weekends.

6. simon

last time I checked I was none of those :)

7. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    "Compare the difference between the beautifully restored VSOE coaches behind Clan Line to that being hauled by the Duchess today".
    I think West Coast must be short of stock with the GBIII running as well as other tours.
    I agree the VSOE coaches look good but out of my price range to travel......
    Brian

8. aperture

aperture Member

Simon,the wording has been changed.
    A.

9. Mikem

Mikem Member

HI,
    I've been slipping out lunchtimes from work to see the Vosey since about 1996 where possible in the Guildford area.
    It's always a pleasure to see Clan Line, the footplate and dedicated support crew that put a lot of effort to make
    these tours happen.For me it breaks up the working day and I always have some video footage to take home later.
    Admittedly it's good to see a different loco now and then but in my opinion one day someone out there will pull
    the plug on steam railtours so make the most of it whilst this lasts.
    Simon I liked your pictures at twin bridges in the snow, some mates and i saw Clan line at chilly Chilworth that day
    it was spectacular and a pleasure to see.

Regards

Mike M.( 70c)

10. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I didn't go out to photo Clan Line because I have enough photos in overcast conditions. Think I'm becoming an Aztec!

But, as far as lack of interest, and those not travelling because of the cost of the VSOE trips. Don't forget she is doing two "normal", non VSOE trips in May. And I'm booked on both of them!

11. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

So am I

12. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

You are clearly unaware that millions of people work variable shift patterns over a seven day week and will frequently have a weekday free.I work in retail and Saturday is actually the most difficult day of the week to have off. Steam Dreams and UK Railtours are among railtour operators offering mid-week trips and seem to have no problem filling them.

Personally I will never get tired of seeing Clan Line and the VSOE,it brings back happy memories of the Bournemouth Belle!

13. simon

Thanks for your kind comment, the snow one is the most dramatic.

Like you I try and get out to see Clan Line as often as I can, as you say one day it will be gone and we will wish we had made more of an effort.