If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Christmas Sussex Belle, 8 December.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Shame, but there we are. Received a phonecall whilst at the British Library, saw it was from RTC, and knew what was going down without listening to the message. Sussex waits for another day...

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You have to remember that Ian might have needed to get some urgent work done on 5407.

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

After 45407 returned to Bury last week, Ian dropped a sizable hint on here that both his locos were ready to go where needed at the weekend. I guess they were stood down after WCRC decided Tangmere was fit, following her test run.

Tangmere has one more booking in the diary for this year, working to Yeovil next week. Let's hope that either the missing OTMR bits turn up in time and she gives us a rousing finish to the year, or they are declared to be unavailable in sufficient time to call in a replacement.

4. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Yet 44871 is off to NYMR so it is reported in another thread. The point made remains valid - a contingency plan would have been wise, no hindsight necessary. Seems the RTC Christmas tradition of using the fives ought to have been observed. If it it ain't broke ......

Edit: as pointed out it is SD that has used the fives on Christmas trains. Could have been to RTCs benefit though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

It is mentioned in another thread that 44871 is going to the NYMR.

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Wasn't it Steam Dreams that employed the two Fives so successfully on winter trips down south the last couple of years? I suppose that this year, expecting to have both Mayflower and Britannia available at Southall, SD decided they didn't need to call in reinforcements.

7. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Poor old Tangmere certainly seems to be developing a serious jinx. Very unfortunate sets of circumstances of late. Tangmere accelerating away from Pouparts Junction towards Clapham Junction on the down fast to clear the section as quickly as possible has reliably provided one of the most spectacular steam displays in the London area each year on this trip
    (in fact I am amazed the path has survived until now)! Below shows the 2012 run.

8268989323_81f1707045_k (1).jpg

8. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Yes SD, rather than RTC, so the latter wouldn't have thought to make a contingency, even though the fives had been released by the former using different motive power this year?

9. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ah but the first year 54 & 48 came down, we did trips for both SD & RTC.