If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

CathEx to Weymouth, 9th July 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Steamage, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I don't think we've got a separate thread for this yet, have we? The debate has been part of the SD 2015 thread.

In theory, it should be 61306 Mayflower from Victoria to Weymouth via Staines and Southampton. Presumably there will be a diesel on the back, since the train returns diesel-hauled from Weymouth to Southampton, where it reverses. Steam leads back to London via Romsey and Andover.

I can't see anything in RTT yet, and although there's a tab for this train on the SD Timings page, it's empty. Has anyone received their tickets?

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Haven't got any tickets yet. Hoping they will be in my inbox when I get home this evening.
    Looking at the SD website earlier the provisional timings on the booking page had been removed so perhaps they are getting ready to update it to the actual times? None on the latest news/timings page yet or RTT.
    I am wondering which way this trip will go. In the brochure and on UKSteam site it says it will be going via Yeovil on the outward run with a diesel into Weymouth and with steam out of Weymouth.
    Yet when I booked it up a while ago the guy on the phone at SD said it would be going straight down to Weymouth although he didn't sound very sure when I questioned this. He also said the train would be diesel assisted on the outward run. As the train is not full I wonder if a shorter formation could be used if 61306 is hauling it?

3. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

I was under the understanding that it was going down to yeovil,diesel down to weymouth then back along the coast

4. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I think that plan was abandoned a while back. I haven't booked as there is bound to be a diesel involved though I don't see why it should assist going down unless the load is judged to be too much for 61306 and that would need to be about 14 on with the likely timings. Or in the current regime more like more than 9.

Don

5. Steamage

SD is advertising pick-up/set-down in Southampton and Bournemouth, so not going via Yeovil.
    DL may assist across the New Forest and Dorset heaths, depending how dry it is on Thu. This has happened in recent years, even when the ground was only moderately dry.

6. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes that's correct. This afternoon even after a couple of warm dry and windy days the New Forest fire index is still low but I don't suppose NR would ever consult something sensible like that

7. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Usually, when you get to within three days of the tour, and no one has had any tickets, no-one has been given any news, and nothing is booked on the ITPS*, then it usually means its not running.

*tho to be fair STP always appears late in the day out of Victoria/Waterloo.

8. green five

Well, we got our tickets this afternoon but Network Rail have still not issued any timings to SD. Surely it can't be that hard as trips have been there many times before or are there not many paths left to Weymouth? Perhaps we will end up in Minehead?

9. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

It was mentioned on here in April in another thread " It's got so busy in the Southampton area. Network rail have reinstated the up loop line between Southampton Parkway(Southampton airport) and Eastleigh to allow freight trains to stop and swap over crews with out blocking the up main line in Eastleigh station " although someone else though the loop was not yet in use yet.

10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I'm taking bets on it starting from Victoria at 0844 and going via Staines to Woking.......

11. green five

The Long and winding road as The Beatles would say. It's a real drag going on that route. Suffered it many times before and nearly got stuck on one occasion with 6201 as she had trouble restarting on the wet rails. We are (hopefully) boarding at Woking on Thursday.

12. green five

They are going to be cutting it a bit fine with this one. Still no timings on SD site or in RTT as of 12.48 today. :Nailbiting:

Edit: A further update. These timings have now appeared on the SD booking page:
    Tour 71708 Thursday 09 July 2015 London Waterloo to Weymouth

Route
    Depart Arrive Depart Return
    London Waterloo - Dorchester
    1333 1647 2119
    London Waterloo - Weymouth
    1349 1627 2119
    Woking - Dorchester
    1333 1647 2036
    Woking - Weymouth
    1349 1627 2036
    Brookwood - Dorchester 1011 1333 1647
    Brookwood - Weymouth 1011 1349 1627
    Southampton Central - Weymouth 1153 1349 1627 1826
    Bournemouth - Weymouth 1248 1349 1627 1747

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Some times on booking page, but not complete.

14. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Full timings now on SD site but not on RTT yet. Al, you were spot on with the 0844 prediction for departure from Victoria! Although not shown on SD site,timings I think indicate the normal water stop at Winchfield.

15. green five

Got tickets (again) and timings with details of changes:

-Out from Victoria, back into Waterloo.
    - NR unable to accommodate a stop at Woking on outward run, pick-up at Brookwood instead. Can't stop at Brookwood on the return so set down is at Woking.
    -Stop at Wareham (for Swanage Railway excursion) unavailable in both directions so Swanage passengers have to get off at Bournemouth and travel in taxis to Swanage.

16. Steamage

At least the return to Waterloo is via Wimbledon, rather than the trundle round Staines and Barnes

17. green five

Yes, one plus point from the timings given to SD. It must be a nightmare planning a railtour these days.

18. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

What a shambles from NR. These should be standard DCE timings which include both Woking and Wareham. Nothing has changed since last summer except NR is even more anti WCR

19. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

20. green five

Shambles is a kind word to use. I can't believe they have had so many problems with what was a pretty simple itinerary. I also thought that the WCRC factor was probably affecting NR's enthusiasm for timing this trip. I wonder how quick SD would have got the timings if DBS had been operating the trip?