If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Calling Gwili Railway loco crews!

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by MEJ, Mar 16, 2009.

1. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi,

Slightly strange request but can any Gwili Railway loco crews provide any photos/drawings of the brake arrangment on Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn 0.4.0ST "Olwen" ?

I have fired the loco several times whilst on hire to Llangollen Railway and noted that it is fitted with a BR graduable steam brake system combined to its Vacuum gear. However, now I am tasked with designing and fitting a similar system to sister loco "Agecroft No.1" I am unable to find any pictures of exactly how this system is fitted to Olwen! The vac system is relatively simple however...

Specifically I would be grateful to find out:
    1.) Where is the vacuum reservoir fitted?
    2.) Has the original steam brake valve on the backhead been removed and blanked off?
    3.) Where has the steam feed to the graduable steam brake been taken from?
    4.) Does anyone have any photos/diagrams of these fitting on Olwen!

Now I wish I had taken better notice last August when Olwen was at Llangollen....!!! #-o
    PM me if you can help!
    Cheers!

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    I'll see what I can find out from our MPD chaps

3. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks,

I had sent an email to the Gwili email address last week but being an impatient young fellow (sorry! 8-[ ) I didnt wait long enough for a reply...! I have today been contacted by the Head of the MPD and am in discussion with him! Thanks to all. =D>

Regards,