If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Cab ride around the Bekonscot Railway (10 scale miles)

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by timmydunn, Jun 25, 2009.

1. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A couple of weeks ago, we ran a cab ride around our Gauge 1 railway network. Just to see what happened, really. In this, one of our 94xx locos is shunting the camera around on a flatbed.

You’ll see a GWR Railmotor, a couple of freelance 0-6-0Ts from the 1950s and a 4-6-0 freelance from the 1950s too.

Note that the circuit is devoid of signals – the set of 40+ is currently away being refurbished. Our network is controlled partly by software (that was later redeveloped for the Jubilee Line Extension, incredibly), a Westinghouse L-frame from Purley ‘Box and a lot of relays to control the hundreds of blocks. The railway is 80 years old this year.

So sit back and enjoy 8 minutes of a trip back into 1930s rural railways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsJ_P6d-zg

2. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Its ages since ive been to Bekonscot... That video really makes it come alive...

3. sam w

sam w New Member

Thats incredible.

Do you ever run live steam?? I expect it would be quite hard as the track isn't very accessible in places but would be great fun to try 'after hours'. I've got access to a few engines if you want to try it \:D/

4. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    wow so accurately modelled, the plants scrape the stock and everything!

That was quite entertaining!

5. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Strictly speaking, what you've got there (most enjoyable too) is not a cab ride but a "ghost ride" - the term was used in the early days of moving pictures for a film shot with a (usually) fixed camera on a wagon pushed by a locomotive. The technique was supposed to derive from a Lumière company cameraman inventing the travelling shot by accident, by filming from the end balcony of a train leaving Jerusalem. There was quite a vogue for them around the turn of the 20th Century, and there's a complete one showing a ride to Ilfracombe on a DVD of early railway films that came out a few years ago. Well done for reviving the tradition!

6. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    I had no idea I'd revived a tradition Ben - that's fascinating!

We do run live steam for a private event once a year for the local Gauge 1 Railway Association Group. Generally speaking, 500+ children in per day don't mix too well with locos costing £1,000+ especially when the tracks are so accessible. It was built as a private line in the 1920s, so although we have huge numbers of people visiting now, many of the paths haven't moved very far. Trains could (and are) easily grabbed, kicked, derailed etc. In our 200,000 annual visitors we do get a few people who enjoy causing crashes...

It is however quite spectacular to see a full length LNER teak set behind a Gresley steaming through express loops, over viaducts etc in a complete miniature landscape... being passed by LNWR locos on a loose coupled freight. Quite tricky to catch the little sods when there's a breakaway... We can't really open it up for various planning legislation reasons, but never mind.

I don't think we've ever sent a live steam loco through the long tunnel though, down to the Midland Railway station at Evenlode.

For the record;

Evenlode (inspired by the S&D stations) and Hanton (timber construction) have Midland Railway buildings and signalboxes
    Splashyng has a Southern Railway station building (inspired by Kingscote on Bluebell)
    Greenhaily is GWR & GCJR (Based on Beaconsfield, 1930s)
    Maryloo is GWR & GCJR (Based vaguely on High Wycombe, 1930s but with extra platforms and a footbridge)
    Bekonscot Town is entirely freelance
    Bekonscot North is a GCR island platform with bridge access

Stock includes:

94xx panniers x 2
    Brighton 4-4-2 tank (Bassett Lowke, 1930s)
    0-6-0T jinty tanks x 2
    0-6-0T freelance industrial tanks x 2
    GWR railmotor
    SR 2-Bil
    SR Q class
    Freelance 4-6-0 express tender loco (vaguely Gresley LNER)
    Bo-Bo freelance (vaguely BR Class 17 but a bit continental)

Breakdown train
    Coal wagon train (x 12 wagons)
    Mixed goods train (x10 sponsored wagons by local or themed businesses)
    Brakevans x 2
    Track cleaners x 2
    Mk1 coaches x 20+
    Suburban Bassett Lowke coaches x 2 (original from early 1930s)

7. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

A cracking video there and when in the area, I shall be popping in!!! =D>

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That is fabulous, scenery is great as is everything else. I realise that is might be difficult but without the 'giants' wandering round it would be even more realistic..

9. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    I was tempted to wait til 6pm when they'd all gone home... But I quite like having them in as a scale reference point!

Next time I'll couple a few coaches together so the clickety-clack is more obvious. We cut every rail into 60ft lengths or put in notches so that it sounds just right....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [​IMG]

10. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, thats a superb bit of film. years since I hve been to Bekonscot, will have to revisit very soon. I remember how well done the signalling is, watching trains run slowly past under yellows and then stop at the reds to wait for the road, very realistic.

11. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
  12. coastwalker

coastwalker New Member

None
    That brought back some wonderful memories. I used to go to Bekonscot as a child in the 60s and always wanted to ride on the train!

And I think I identified the bridge where my the very small son put his finger down and derailed a train when I turned my back for a moment. So embarrassing