If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Fantastic job on that blog post, and also the one yesterday; all those pictures are incredibly informative,
    and the text explains very well what one is seeing.

Thanks very much for all the hard work you put into writing them; they are much appreciated!

Noel

2. AndyY

AndyY Member

I totally agree, the information provided is really interesting to read, very many thanks!
    I wish other railways provided similar quality information on the progress of their projects.

Andy

3. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

It looks stunning already, even with only half the scaffolding down. And what also becomes apparent is the SIZE of the building! It's now easy to imagine how it once was, standing on that platform, the canopy reverberating to the roar of a Castle thundering through at 60mph.
    For me, and unsung highlight are the platforms themselves; it's hard to believe they're rebuilt- even close up, they look as though they have always been there. Fantastic workmanship!

4. AndyY

AndyY Member

I guess the platforms are no longer new, they're starting to weather!

5. Bill Drewett

Bill Drewett Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I agree. For me it's the attention to detail that makes this particular project special. The brickwork, the canopy, the lamps, even the fencing are satisfyingly faithful to the original, so that where compromises have had to be made, they fade into the background. Most people will have no idea that the station building is much longer than the original, to cope with the demands on the terminus of a heritage line, because it's been executed so well.

When you see the outcome and compare it with the original proposals (modeled on the building at Cheltenham racecourse), I find it hard to think of another project that has exceeded expectations so dramatically.

Checkflaps, jtx, TommyD and 6 others like this.
  6. AndyY

AndyY Member

Very true, the original proposals were simply dreadful!

Bill Drewett and Kinghambranch like this.
  7. Bill Drewett

Bill Drewett Member

To be fair, the original proposal was, I understand, designed to comply with modern building regs. There's no way anyone could build a replica of the original in this day and age...

8. Mark Thompson

Presumably that's with tongue firmly in cheek?

Bill Drewett likes this.
  9. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The current building certainly complies with building regs, it has to. And yet it looks real. You can do it. You have to want to. It is easy to blow a smokescreen in your eyes by quoting building regs, fire regs, the structural engineeer, fake cost increases, the planners et al as reasons it can't be done. It can be done.
    The original proposal was meant to look right from a distance only. We have been fighting a rearguard action ever since, and it continues to this day. The same battles were fought while the signal box was built. The initial design was quite different, and involved wooden locking room windows that were spare in somebody's garage :(, door handles from B&Q, plastic sliding windows, no locking room windows at all (first draft) etc. Every change was a battle, but the wounds were worth it, as the box now gets lots of praise.

jtx, 30854, Kinghambranch and 11 others like this.
  10. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

The platforms, almost twice the original length, were made entirely of recycled imperials, perhaps 70.000 of them. Their recovery and mortar removal was a superhuman effort achieved by a small army of brick cleaners who worked two days a week for several years. That is why the platforms look so natural. Compare them to CRC2, made completely of modern materials.

11. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Thank you Noel, you are very kind. If you appreciate them, I will continue. It's very motivating to have positive feedback. (and share purchases!)
    Now I must go and write up today's adventures :)

nigelss, 30854, Bluenosejohn and 4 others like this.
  12. Mark Thompson

Breva, the story is all the more inspiring for the fact that the project has been pushed through in the teeth of mediocrity.
    It's like a microcosm of the world we live in: do we accept what we are told we must accept, or to we have a vision, and strive for it despite the whips and scorns?
    I'll bet it's been a busy old day up there today! You guys are the best.

13. Bill Drewett

Bill Drewett Member

Indeed. I remember that was the explanation when the original design was made public. Thank goodness there were people involved in the project who questioned whether it was really the case, and campaigned for something much more in keeping with the line's heritage.

14. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    That said, recent images of CRC platform 1 show that weathering is starting to "soften" things a little. Platform 2 is, of course, another matter but it is brand new!

15. PC5020

PC5020 New Member

Quality is remembered after the cost is forgotten. And hats off to those who insisted on doing it correctly.

Kinghambranch, jnc and Mark Thompson like this.
  16. AndyY

AndyY Member

I like to think that the constructive criticism on here contributed to the change of approach to doing a proper job, and kept people on their toes when standards slipped, for instance the chimney design.
    The end result is a station to be proud of for generations to come.

Andy

17. Andy B

Andy B Member

I was thinking earlier, how many major extension projects are currently ongoing around the country? I know gwilli have had there extension and you could count the workongoing at corwen on the Llangollen. Is it a sign of the times that big extensions are now very diffilcult? Asa gwsr steam dept member I look at the work the railway does and do feel proud of what's been achieved. Will be great when the first steam engine makes it there.

18. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Mid-Norfolk will reach County School anytime soon and who could overlook the GCR bridging of the Loughborough gap ?
    There's plenty happening out there !

30854 and Mark Thompson like this.
  19. Mark Thompson

Its probably that major extensions these days involve an awful lot more than just construction. Take two that immediately spring to mind: The Rother Valley Railway, on which construction has already started as far as possible, and of course the Lynton and Barnstaple railway.
    Both of these are fully engaged in shovelling cubic metres of paperwork rather than spoil at present. In actual fact the planning, paperwork and approvals process takes longer than the physical construction part these days!
    Indeed these two just mentioned plus the GCR bridging the gap, are all "Holy Grails" of preservation which until just a few years ago were all considered to be impossible dreams. So the situation in actual fact, is very healthy and "can do"

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    30854 and The Dainton Banker like this.
  20. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Indeed. A BIG advantage that we (Gwili) had was that we have a full LRO for the whole 8 miles of line that we owned, which will help us in the future as well as up until now. It is amusing to note that at the time of the application, there was one main objection who thought the line was going to be turned into something akin to a Butlin's theme park!

There is a huge difference now between a line which was been closed for one or two years as opposed to one which has been turned back to nature for over 60 years such as the L and B. The TWO process is much more complicated than the old LRO procedure, and infinitely more expensive. Be prepared to spend six figures before you can do so much as lay one panel of track; with no guarantee of success. The world of social media also makes it far easier for organised opposition .

Neverless as the WHR proved it is possible to succeed and this is inspiring schemes such as the RVR and L and B. All power to their elbows...

Regards

Matt