If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    2807's 1905.... :) If memory serves we've got a couple of wagons from that period too, can't for the life me think what at the moment, will have to go for a wander round the yard for inspiration.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    2807 didn't quite look as it does now when it was built in October 1905! :);)

3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Well, early on the GWSR decided to standardise on Mk1s, so 1904 stock is not possible with what we have. Events such as 1450 with Chaffinch require material to be hired in.

What we could be doing is selecting a different period for each station, eg Winchcombe 1950. But we can't have a different rake for each period.

4. Kinghambranch

Retired
    There was only 1 suitable choice really, Mk 1 stock! Some ex-GWR stock did arrive at the GWSR when the railway was being built up from virtually nothing in the period 1981-1985 (including Autocoach 169, some camping coaches and a BR-built Hawksworth Brake 3rd) but all of these moved elsewhere as there was not the time, skills or funding to restore them. In 2017 of course, things have changed considerably and, one day, we may see a rake of Collett 1930s stock at least but, as Breva quite rightly points out, such stock will probably have to be hired in.

5. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

'But we can't have a different rake for each period.' Why not? All wood, wood handle with metal tines, All metal, all plastic..... One for each station. Gets hat and coat...

MellishR, sycamore, Kje7812 and 3 others like this.
  6. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Which presumably would make CRC period 2010!

7. Kinghambranch

Retired
    damianrhysmoore likes this.
  8. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    I see that the scaffolding has gone up to enable the chimneys to be finished in typical GWR style.

Kinghambranch and Copper-capped like this.
  9. AndyY

AndyY Member

The newly-installed welded U-section support for the canopy over the entrance just doesn't look the right way to do it, I would have expected something along the lines of a scaled-down version of the one over the entrance to the SVR Kidderminster station, with brackets supporting it from below.

This needs watching carefully to see how it develops, and doesn't look like a modern carbuncle.............

Andy

10. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

IMG_3881.JPG Earlier someone was asking whether the 1970s BR location cupboard would stay on platform 1.
    Unfortunately it was indeed not removed, despite a request to do so. The spearhed fence was built round behind it, crossing over with a kink a bit further along.

11. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Looking at the picture, i'm confused, how hard would it have been to have removed the 1970's cabinet and relocated it out of sight in a hut or something, what are those deciding the final look of the station trying to achieve? GWR era station building, but with the later BR additions? it makes a mockery of trying to provide an heritage station thats going to be in-keeping with the general look of the line, so is the plan to paint it in 1970 BR colours with corporate signs?
    This is in effect a total new build, and there should be no requirement to have any non authentic station fitments if its serving a function, house it in a lamp hut or some similar GWR outline building perhaps the GWR needs a different project manager if such obvious short comings keep continuing, adding to construction costs and wasted time re working past mistakes .

12. AndyY

AndyY Member

Back in post #547 I asked "Will the grey electrical cubicle be moved from pride-of-place on the platform once the station building is complete?"
    Sadly, I'm not convinced there is a Project Manager, certainly not one with an overall detailed plan and a vision of the finished job.
    How often does the opportunity arise to recreate a station from the ground up?

Andy

13. flying scotsman123

That is a shame. Are there any plans to disguise it a bit better somehow, and if not, anyone here got any suggestions?

14. AndyY

AndyY Member

What exactly is the purpose of the cabinet? As it's been there so long, I guess it has nothing to do with S&T. Is it the incoming mains electricity to the site? If so, surely a better and safer location would be in the station building somewhere?

Andy

15. Kinghambranch

Retired
    As I understand it, from earlier "Broadway blogs", this is an electrical supply box to the site. I believe that, once the Platform 1 access gap is filled, which is being done at present, then it will be relocated. I also recall reading on one of the blogs that it will be disguised with wooden cladding if it is positioned anywhere where it might jar with the period feel/ambiance. Even if it remains where it is now, it wouldn't take much for it to be disguised; heck, I could probably even finance and tackle that job myself! (My apologies if any content of this post is factually incorrect but it's based on what I've read or heard.)

16. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I've not heard of any plans to relocate it, it seems very unlikely.
    There are 4 or 5 of these BR boxes around the site, all but one along the platform rear. They initially came as site distribution boxes, but over time have been built up for other purposes. The one in the picture, and most of the others, serve to receive 4 underground ducts for the adjoining lamp posts. Why this was so done I do not understand, as at CRC we did not use such boxes. A bright yellow H&S triangle on the front warns you that you are in the 21st Century.
    Later a supply of water was brought in, used to build the signal box. It is now unused, and as far as I know, was not requested by the future station staff. Extra power points were also put in, also now unused. The other stations do not have such boxes along their platforms.

I asked for the box to be relocated behind the fence, and made much smaller, as it is largely empty. Request denied, as too much trouble. At the time I was responsible for drawing up the platform plans.

Eventually these boxes will fall over, as they are supported on softwood timbers planted in the soil. What then? What if we have a filming contract in Broadway?

17. flying scotsman123

Are all of the boxes as prominent as the one pictured?

18. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Yes, except one a bit further back, next to the future p2 waiting room.
    Their main purpose seems to be to receive the 4 pipes from the lamp posts, but they (well the one I looked into) have recently been fitted with additional sockets inside. In the middle they are empty.

19. AndyY

AndyY Member

I can just see the headline, "Visitors electrocuted as electrical box falls over onto platform".

Get rid of them before there's an accident!

20. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

So, can i get this right, there are live electrical boxes supported by softwood embedded in soil,and requests to relocate have been refused as being " to much trouble"
    So there is no provision for an electrical master panel in the station building i would have imagined that any electrician would have trunked in the lampost supply, and platform sockets to a master location with in the building, with the sockets being suitably hidden.
    I get the impression that if there is a master plan for Broadway its not been professionally wrote up, or assessed for historical accuracy, i am now even questioning will the station comply with modern health & safety rules , i would have thought that the power supply would at the very least be located with in a properly constructed building that ensures public safety and that of the employees of the company. does the committee who are making these decisions have a suitably qualified construction manager to oversee that any work done complies with all relevant rules on construction , i think that the GWR,may be best advised to get professional advise on Broadway stations construction before mistakes get made that may have an effect on public safety. forget about opening in 2018, ensure the station is properly constructed and that there are no potensial accidents waiting to happen first, things like electrical boxes on platforms should be relocated, and where possible any live electrics should be done in away that poses no potensial threat, trunking them in and terminating them with in the station building on a master panel to me seems to safest.

staffordian likes this.