If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

GWSR Broadway Developments

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Breva, Aug 1, 2014.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Out of interest, has the GWSR now become at least the Gloucestershire-Worcestershire Railway? I know the county boundary is somewhere between Laverton and Broadway, but at what point? Can the trains cross it yet?

2. D1039

D1039 Guest

They had a PR last year or thereabouts saying they were running into Worcestershire

Patrick

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

No it wasn't they were running into Worcestershire, it was the track was laid into the county. The Border is at Little Buckland iirc so it's only the last couple of weeks the railway has been running services into Worcestershire.

D1039 likes this.
  4. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

As far as I'm aware there haven't been any serious discussions about a rebrand! As Pete says, the mention of Worcestershire last year was track laying crossing the border. Services only started operating over the border a few weeks ago.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Don't worry, Alex. I wasn't suggesting a rebrand! I was just curious and thanks to everyone who has answered my question. The GWSR has now joined what is a surprisingly small and select band of heritage lines which cross county boundaries.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Never mind county boundaries, some of 'em cross the Prime Meridian ;)

Tom

D1039 likes this.
  7. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    The stop board is currently in Gloucestershire so no services trains operate across the boundary, however works trains do. New rail was delivered to Toddington yesterday (20 panels worth) and will be taken into Worcestershire for laying tomorrow and Saturday. This should see the rail head close to Childswickham bridge in the coming week.

nigelss and Kinghambranch like this.
  8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    At the risk of appearing cheeky - where does the Warwickshire come into it?

Visited for the first time since Cheltenham opened weekend before last with friends - did the whole trip, including the Auto Train - and had arranged to say 'Hello' to @flying scotsman123 , which we duly did at Chleltenham (great to meet you Alex!)

Attached are a few pictures - not strictly Broadway but I suspect this is the main GWSR thread - and we need see Braodway (or so we were told we could!)!

Can I say what a splendid Railway - everything was immaculate, the staff so friendly and the service - and Rolling Stock - highly polished! The catering outlets at Winchcombe and Toddington both passed the 'Coffee Shop Connoisseur' test!

A great day out and we will be back when it is open to Broadway!

DSC_3723C.jpg DSC_3733.JPG DSC_3736.JPG _20170606_164204C.jpg DSC_3766.JPG

Steven

Black Jim, nick glanf, jnc and 5 others like this.
  9. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired

Why the Hi-Viz on the platform at Winchcombe?

Black Jim likes this.
  10. AndyY

AndyY Member

To look out of place and spoil the period atmosphere?

11. flying scotsman123

A couple of members of the upholstery department emerged for a few minutes to see what was going on is all I imagine, and possibly to buy an ice cream! If you were on the platform you'd have got a warm smile and a hello. :)

12. 17B

17B New Member

Damn those hard working volunteers and fare paying customers for ruining the view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Pete Thornhill

Emergered or escaped? :D

17B and flying scotsman123 like this.
  14. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Do they have to wear hi-viz whilst upholstering? - is it classed as a hazardous occupation? - do they have to take a PTS exam too?

Black Jim and The Dainton Banker like this.
  15. flying scotsman123

Yes, potentially, and no. I shall consult next time I'm in, but I don't *think* they wear them specifically as a fashion accessory. :)

16. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Great photos. Glad you enjoyed your visit. I never cease to be bowled over by how good 7903 looks these days. "Halls" are lovely locos (and they were a common sight on the Honeybourne Line in GWR and BR days) and I think we are blessed to have several survivors, some of which are close to steaming for the 1st time in preservation, including Wightwick Hall and Owesden Hall. The only loco missing from your delightful pot-pourri is that grande dame of the GWSR, 2807 but it was probably not rostered that day. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This Railway has come a long way since it first opened to the public with 0-4-0T "Cadbury No 1" back in April 1984 running from Toddington south for around 1/4 mile.

17. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

To answer an earlier question, not far beyond Broadway the original formation entered Warwickshire and thereto Honeybourne Station. In fact, I believe that at one point the formation actually then again follows the boundary between Worcestershire and Gloucestershire in the area of Weston sub Edge, and although these extra miles are not actually owned by the GWSR, I believe that the original hope/intention, was that the GWSR would ultimately reach Honeybourne, hence the Gloucestershire/Warwickshire name.

Indeed, when Network Rail re-doubled their line from Moreton in Marsh to Evesham, they left one half of an Island platform in an unfinished state in anticipation that the GWSR would get there, eventually........ and thereby acquire a 'Main Line' connection.

As to whether those extra miles, somewhere in the region of five, could/would ever be commercially viable is another matter. Bridge repairs/maintenance. Lineside clearance. Culverts/Drainage. Not to mention track and associated costs. For what benefit?

From the GWSR Timeline

I expect that much will depend upon any decisions regarding reinstatement of the line [by Network Rail] between Stratford upon Avon and Honeybourne. Currently, the Long Marston area, is being developed, by housing, to the extent that it might even become something of a 'New Town'. If such happens, then perhaps that link may be restored, although, the estimate I read on the subject was in the region of £95 million.

If such were to happen, then a 'commuter' route from Stratford to Cheltenham might become a viable consideration.

18. flying scotsman123

I think your geography's a bit out Ken! Honeybourne is in Worcestershire and the line doesn't cross into Warwickshire until well on the way to Stratford!

michaelh likes this.
  19. Pete Thornhill

Honeybourne was originally two separate villages, one in Worcestershire and one in Gloucestershire but they were both combined into a single Worcestershire settlement during the county boundary changes in the 1930s.
    Ken is on the right track so to speak except that the original aim when the preservation group came into being to restore the line between the two racecourses, one in Gloucestershire and one in Warwickshire hence the name.

20. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

A bit more than an island platform, Ken. The spur off the Marston line turns back towards the mainline where NR have left a bridge for the GWR to pass under. I assume they did not do that without having some sort of understanding with the GWR.
    Several years ago there was a very good explanation of the potential for extension to Honeybourne posted by the then GWR Board, which indicated that they were in discussion with SusTrans, who currently own the trackbed north of Broadway. I've not seen any official information since then so assume that the project is still on the agenda. My understanding is that, as much of the trackbed is either on the level or in cuttings, it will not pose the same bridges and embankments problem as the current extension. Indeed, looking at a map and google overview, it seems there is only one rail-over-road bridge, the rest being road-over-rail and therefore, presumably, the responsibility of the roading authority.
    Once Broadway is open and there has been time to assess the traffic and costs (and give everybody a rest :) ) it might be time to review the Honeybourne project.

Incidentally, has anyone thought to retain any of the Long Marston sheds as potential carriage / wagon works and storage ?

Mike

Black Jim likes this.