If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

British Rail's Teak Forest - a myth?

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by houghtonga, Jul 14, 2012.

1. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some 10 years ago I was on a T&RS course with work, and was discussing changes in carriage construction with a man from one of the well known Derby railway consultancies. He mentioned that the British Rail Board (Residual) Ltd who were disposing/managing former railway properties had discovered paperwork relating to the ownership of an overseas hardwood forest (I think he said it was "Teak") that had been inherited through the LNER and forgotten about.

If it was Teak then it suggests that the property was in South or South East Asia - India, Indonesia, Burma, Malaysia, Sri Lanka etc.

Considering that railway companies were so self-sufficient that they made their own batteries and even steel (in the case of the LNWR) it sounds plausible, but I have not come across this information before or since. With the BRB being wound up I have submitted an information request to confirm or deny that this is was true and am now awaiting a response.

Has anyone on this forum come across this story?

Kind regards,
    Gareth