If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Boiler heat resistant paint

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by JJF, Sep 28, 2009.

1. JJF

JJF New Member

Hi,

We're at the stage in a boiler overhaul where we're going to blast clean the exterior surfaces down imminently. With this in mind I'm keen to find out what sort of paint can be recommended for boilers. On one loco we overhauled about 8 years ago a silcone aluminium paint was used but sadly it doesn't seem to have stuck particularly well, coming off in flakes all over.

Can anyone recommend a good boiler paint that they have had experience of? There are plenty of products out there but I have yet to see one that has remained attached for any length of time!

Many thanks,

James Friel

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    BR (Darlington) used to specify that the internal surfaces of Sentinel loco boilers were painted with Apexior. I've never heard or come across a similar BR requirement for conventional boilers, though.

4. MacRat

MacRat New Member

5. Les_Tap

Les_Tap New Member

Iam currently in work overhauling some paint plant flight bars that need repainting with a high temp paint as they travel through an oven thats about 450 c,I am using a silicon based aluminium paint as advised by the customer,the key to it "sticking" is a well prepped surface

If you contact Dacrylate you need to speak to Rosie in sales,she is top dollar at what she does :clap2: