If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bogie Bolster vacuum brakes

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by namron, Aug 10, 2017.

1. namron

namron New Member

Can anyone advise where drawings and information could be obtained for the brake system ( vacuum) fitted to a 1961 wagon . The bogies are Davies and Lloyd. I am told that this is an American design of bogie used extensively world wide.
    In particular any information on the two horizontal cylinders ( one shown in the photo ) would be appreciated. Also the brake bar slide sleeves.
    We are trying to make this wagon serviceable again . Thanks 20170810_104454.jpg

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is that a SAB Brake adjuster?
    However they are more usually found on Air systems I think.

Common on coaching stock and other vehicles such as Seacow Ballast Hoppers.

3. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would agree that the "horizontal" component is a brake adjuster but behind it is a "vertically" mounted vacuum cylinder. It looks to be just a normal cylinder, the spares for this should be compatible with your coaching stock assuming that they are the same size.

4. namron

namron New Member

Thanks guys . No problem with the vacuum cylinder, just standard stuff same as the coaches . Just baffled with the brake adjuster and how it works, setting up , overhaul and spares etc.
    Thanks for the response.

5. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

It's what in the Commercial Vehicle industry, is termed a 'Slack Adjuster'. We have one of our staff that have taken one apart, and we have plans to send some off for refurbishment. It contains a large spring so, in the terms of, "Don't do this at home", don't try messing with it.

As for how it works. It's late at night. Let me get back to you.

6. namron

namron New Member

Quite a lot of info on these or similar units on Indian Railways. Thanks for replies.