If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

BODMIN & WENFORD RAILWAY - STEAM GALA & REAL ALE FESTIVAL - 2-5 September 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by SBZ, Aug 15, 2010.

1. SBZ

SBZ New Member

Full details of this very popular event, held as usual over the first weekend of September, have now been released - see http://www.bodminandwenfordrailway.co.uk/steamgala/.
    • The return of the Southern to North Cornwall....
    • FOUR ex-LSWR engines in action - T9 30120, M7 53, '0298' 30585 & 30587
    • The return to steam of the unique T9 4-4-0 No 30120, resplendent in BR lined black livery (courtesy of the National Railway Museum)
    • Intensive timetable - including heritage goods trains
    • Special evening events
    • Real Ale Festival at Bodmin General Station.
    The BWR is definitely the place to be over the first weekend of September - don't miss it!

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Can't argue with that, will be there on the Saturday for a day's LSWR-bashing.

3. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Will Alfred and/or Judy be running? :)

4. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

The T9 is such a fine looking machine, but, up that bank? Will she be running LE, +2, +4 and banker, or what? I assume she'll be trialled first, do let us know the results.

5. SBZ

SBZ New Member

1. Alfred & Judy will not be running at the BWR Steam Gala & Real Ale Festival.
    2. An update on 30120 has just been posted elsewhere.....
    3. 30120, 53, 30585 & 30587 are all expected to be rostered on all four days of the BWR Gala.

6. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I've now worked out my timetable for the day, as I'm arriving by train from Swansea. Provided the actual WT doesn't stray too far from that advertised on the leaflet, it's possible to have several round trips and a visit to the beer festival before returning home on the 17:40 train.

7. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Going to the photoshoot on the Thursday and staying over on Saturday to sample a few beers and ride on the trains should be a good gala with 4 black LSWR engines

8. SBZ

SBZ New Member

An update.... Work on lining out T9 30120 is nearing completion. Beattie well tank 30585 arrived from Quainton yesterday afternoon (Wed) and now safely on BWR metals. M7 53 expected to arrive from Swanage early next week.

9. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

I'm going on the Saturday by FGW. Can anyone advise on good public photting spots accessable on foot from the stations?

Thanks

Mark

10. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Not all that easy without a lineside pass, but the following are possibilities:
    1. stand on up platform of Bodmin Parkway main line station at the Penzance end and take a broadside shot as she starts up the bank
    2. walk up the road from Bodmin General on the main road southwards towards Lostwithiel, turn right at brow of hill and you'll come to iron bridges over both Parkway and Boscarne lines; quite good for trains arriving from either of thoise places.
    3. Boscarne Jct is good for running round shots and starting away up the bank; Borough Arms pub is just down the old trackbed (now cycle path) to Bodmin North, good for passing the time till next train and does good carvery.
    4. Bodmin General yard is reasonably accessible and offers good shots ot taking water and general shunting around.

Engines are always chimney facing towards Bodmin General (tho' several years ago 5553 visited and faced towards P'way and Boscarne).

11. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

Thanks Nanstallon for the info. I take it Charlies Gate is a lineside shot? Looking on Google Earth, the lanes out of Bodmin in the direction of Boscarne seem to run pretty close to the line but is the vegetation too much? The Pub sounds good. Does the railway publish a working timetable? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again

Mark

12. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
  13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Damn it, my last post got stuck somewhere in the ether... Never mind. This was a repeat post!

14. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Where to start? Well, an excellent journey by FGW to Bodmin Parkway(+return) as well as perfect weather.

Lots of interesting people there incl Mr Moore,Bill Parker,Helen Ashby+many others who helped ensure the T9 would steam again!!

30120,53 (30053) 30585/87 all hard at work

Various combinations of locos ie 30120+4 coaches banked by 30585/7

Please support-a totally AAA gala

30120 IS AMAZING + WOW

RAY MASON

15. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Avonside 1972 -

Charlies Gate is popular, but if you haven't got a car it's quite a long walk from Parkway station. Also, the shots are a bit limited, unless you indulge in some judicious trespass, which I must not encourage! Similarly, there are some shots along the way to Boscarne, if you are prepared to walk a mile or so out of Bodmin General. Alternatively, you could walk about a mile, southwards from Bodmin General towards an old quarry by Walker Lines industrial estate, where there's a nice curve, but trains tend to shut off steam by then. Vegetation is a bit lush, unless you go onto an overbridge.

Timetables with engine workings are usually given when you buy a ticket to ride.

16. Avonside1972

Avonside1972 New Member

Thanks again. I think I'll stick to shots at Parkway, Boscarne and possibly a walk after lunch up Crabtree Lane. The sun will be full on the front (not ideal) and provided the veg isnt bad it should be adequate, also the road looks a bit quieter for walking along.

17. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

18. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The T9 looks absolutely stunning, and it was one I thought I'd never be able to experience in steam. Looks like a first class gala, so am looking forward to attending tomorrow!

19. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Off for a jolly tomorrow, sounds like a good gala, although Bodmin always do well even with their current operational constraints. Looking forward to a good day!

20. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Great to see the T9 back and looking great. Hopefully it will visit the Bluebell in steam very soon. In some ways its a shame that 30053 was repainted otherwise all the LSWR locos would have matching livieries.