If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Blurb Book..The Magic of Steam

Discussion in 'Photography' started by FlyingScotsman4472, Feb 19, 2011.

1. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You might like to preview a book I have put together of my steam railway photographs taken on the main line and preservation railway during 2006-2011. Click on the link to view the contents 72 pages of steam magic..enjoy and thanks for viewing.
    Simon

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/1987850

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10257146@N05/

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some nice shots in there but £50 is a lot. You could buy W J V Anderson's excellent books for £20 less.

3. FlyingScotsman4472

Yes agreed but the book is in Large Square format to show off each photograph at the best quality which starts at £38.95 and then on the number of photographs in the book. In my case there are 72 pages which pushes the price up I have nothing to do with the price setting apart from the contents in the book the price is set by Blurb.
    Thanks for viewing and the kind remark glad you enjoyed the book Simon.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Yes but Simon's is virtually a one off, always going to be a lot more expensive to produce, so really cannot be compared with a commercially printed and published book.

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's vanity publishing and why not . I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing my work in a book and plan a few more.

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I agree Martin which is why every Christmas I treat myself to a calander made with my own photos and even a new mousemat with my favourite shot of the year. Just to remind me of what I have seen over the previous 12 months.

7. evilswans

evilswans Member

Had a flick through and some truely inspiraring photographs simon. Would love a copy but sadly just a little bit out of my reach at 50 quid, but hope it does well for you mate

cheers
    Matt

8. FlyingScotsman4472

Thanks for all the comments on the book much appreciated.I see some railway photographers on Blurb do a book each year which cuts the cost down rather than what I did one for shots taken during the past five years.Another thought to cut the cost down would be to do one for main line and one for preservation and look at a different format rather than the expensive large square hardback that I went for.The finished article should arrive next week so will let you know if Blurb do a good job with the printing.To be honest I was never looking at selling the book to a wider field Blurb gave me the option when I was creating the book so thought why not.If it does find its way onto your bookshelf than I am humbled that you decided to buy a copy.I can appreciate in these hard times that £50 is rather a lot to pay for one book something I will have to look into if I decide to do another one sometime.Again thanks for taking the time to preview my book and that you liked the photographs I always try and capture something that can be enjoyed in many years to come Simon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10257146@N05/

9. evilswans

evilswans Member

i've used blurb before mate and the printing is top notch, will be making another one myself prolly later on this year

10. northernblue109

northernblue109 New Member

I've been watching this type of print media for a couple years, hoping that prices will fall. Sadly that doesn't seem to be happening but the products do seem to be getting better, with wrap-round images on the cover and titles on the spine. Very tempted to have a go and inspired by your example.