If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Best photographic places on Settle to Carlisle line

Discussion in 'Photography' started by charterplan, Aug 10, 2013.

1. charterplan

charterplan Member

I just want some suggestions of good spots for this line, i know about Ribblehead, but want to get some of the train working hard ( pref not far from a rail station too)

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is said of the S&C that there is a shot around every corner and I agree with that.

3. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Good evening,

Echoing Spamcan81, there are so many photo locations on the S & C, it almost makes any other railway superfluous. Even after all these years, there are new views of the railway coming through all of the time in both photographs and videos, which, for me, I find very exciting.

Anyway, I suspect from your question that you may be trainbound with respect to access to the line; if so, Horton in Ribblesdale northbound and Kirkby Stephen southbound would provide more than adequate locations to witness hard working locomotives. Assuming that you are up for a bit of walking, a half mile in either direction from both stations will provide you with an abundance of superb photographic locations to witness locos working hard in this wonderful part of the World. A couple of tips, consult the Ordnance Survey map and Google Earth for an overview of the area, this site -"Where's the Path?" combines both and can help in homing-in on a particular location of interest:

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Best of luck and let us know know how you get on.

Cheers

Alan

4. charterplan

charterplan Member

I am hopefully going up to watch the 15 guinea tomorrow, but by train, but my plans have been scuffed as i had hoped to go to ribblehead then back to hellifield, but there aint a lot of rail traffic on there to get me back in time ,so may have to find somewhere else to see them.

5. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    Who is going to help out Charterplan with a lift up to the S & C tomorrow?

I'm in deepest Shropshire, otherwise I would have offered a lift. I do hope that you make it to witness this train. Was you there in '68??

Cheers

Alan

6. charterplan

charterplan Member

Well i am going to try and get there, as its a celebration, plus with the Waverley from York to Carlisle also going via the S&C it will be outstanding to see 4 steam trains on the line in one day, but I aim to see them somewhere on the line.
    My mate was coming with me but as I have not heard from him then possible not doing so, or he might just stay in Manchester.

7. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    By hook or by....

Just get yourself up there, there is always a way. go and have a great day out.

all the best

Alan