If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Battlefield Line Steam Gala 2014 - April 11th, 12th, 13th

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by sir gomer, Feb 27, 2014.

1. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

Hi there guys

Our Steam Gala of 2014 will take place over the weekend of April 11th - 13th on the Battlefield Line

It is with great pleasure that we can announce the star guest: courtesy of the Bluebell Railway. She is 0-6-0 SECR 'P' Class No323 "Bluebell".

If you are into your bigger engines, we will also be steaming 2-8-0 GWR Heavy Freight No3803 which is still on long term loan from the South Devon Railway

Fancy something unique? Why not come along and see Aveling & Porter 2-2-0 Single No9449 "The Blue Circle" which will be in steam in a slightly changed livery

As if that wasn't enough, we have another visitor in the pipeline, but this is TBC.

We hope you can join us for a steam-filled weekend in April!

www.battlefieldline.co.uk

More details to follow! :)

2. Haz36

Haz36 New Member

3. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

Final roster is:

* SECR 'P' Class 0-6-0 No323 "Bluebell" (courtesy of the Bluebell Railway)
    * GWR 2884 Class 2-8-0 Heavy Freight No3803 (on long term loan from the South Devon Railway)
    * BR (W) Pannier Tank 0-6-0 No1638 (courtesy of the Kent & East Sussex Railway)
    * Aveling & Porter 2-2-0 No9449 "The Blue Circle"

Includes:
    * Intensive passenger service and a daily Freight (Saturday & Sunday).
    * "The Blue Circle" will be offering brake van rides at Shackerstone Station.
    * Friday evening photographic opportunity at Shackerstone Station (extra charge)
    * Breakfast and real ales will be served on trains.

The timetable, fares and online booking will be available soon.

4. DeccerGW

DeccerGW New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I've not yet visited the Battlefield Line but this event really is tempting me to come along! Does anyone know of any good locations within walking distance from the stations for photographs? Was hoping to get a couple of 'lineside' (from public areas) photos as well as riding on the trains. Thanks!

5. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

5542 now standing in for the unavailable 1638

6. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

Beat me to it Premier.Prairie!

This years Spring Steam Gala we are operating on Friday for the first time at a Steam Gala.

*Visiting loco, SE&CR 0-6-0 ‘P’ Class “Bluebell” No. 323, on only its second ever trip away from the
    Bluebell Railway.
    *We are pleased to announce, at short notice GWR 2-6-2, Small Prairie No. 5542 from
    Locomotive 5542 Ltd. With thanks to the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway, for releasing the locomotive to cover the non availability of previously announced visitor Pannier 1638.
    *The third locomotive is GWR 2-8-0 No. 3803 on loan for the season from the
    South Devon Railway.
    *Aveling & Porter 2-2-0wt. Meeting up again with Bluebell, as they were both used in the early years of the Bluebell Railway.

Friday trains will operate from 10:00, featuring both of the visiting engines (Bluebell and 5542).

Saturday and Sunday there will be an intensive passenger service with a freight on both mornings and Sunday evening.
    On Friday evening there will be a photographic opportunity at Shackerstone Station, with locomotives positioned around the station and signal box (extra charge).
    Breakfast and real ales will be served from the Griddle Car.

Brake Van rides with Blue Circle & trade stands at Shackerstone Station.

Timetables and fares are at

7. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

Nice question DeccerGW. Just out of interest are you GWRDec off Youtube?

Anyhow, not a lot around Shackerstone (not on foot anyway), but at Shenton you can walk away from the Shenton Station and about 1/4 or 1/2 mile to the road bridge at Shenton Lane and you can watch trains departing upgrade there towards Shackerstone with no hindrance. Bluebell, at least, is facing the correct way and 5542 may be too (tbc). This is also a nice area for trains drifting down the bank. The engines will operate out of Shackerstone on all three days and whilst one is down the line the other two and "BC" will be at Shack so there may be the opportunity for some good station/yard shots. There are public foot crossings down the line but not in real walking distance - you'll need a car or a push bike! We don't currently have a lineside pass system in place.

Hope that helps mate. See you there? Sam (Steampics on Youtube/Battlefield Line Steam Department)

8. DeccerGW

DeccerGW New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Yeah it's me Sam! Haven't seen any videos off you for a while and got worried haha!

I'm hoping to get down, just bogged down with Uni work so it'll be depended on that if I make it down or not but if I get it done i'll be almost certainly visiting. Many thanks for the info though, looking forward to seeing Bluebell. Shame 1638 is no longer attending but 5542 is a great substitute!

Dec!

9. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Walk out of Market Bosworth station then turn left onto the main road which quickly rises up and crosses the line immediately next to the station. This bridge is great for trains travelling Shackerstone-Shenton, particularly before midday. See this image.

10. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

5542 now arrived and raring to go.

11. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

What are the details for this?

Sunset should be 20:01, so it'll be dark by 20:30. If this is a night-shoot running after half-eight you're almost certainly going to need to rig additional lighting; there isn't much ambient light as it's in the middle of the country and the station lights aren't very powerful.

It's a before this then photters will have to use the available light.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

14. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
  15. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    I think the 'e' after 'st' is missing from this link. A few nice piccies there thanks.

16. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics