If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Barrow hill fab 4 gala re scheduled

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by yec2521, Aug 15, 2011.

1. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

The Barrow hill october fab four gala has been postponed until april 13-15 2012. please see the barrow hill facebook page or website for details.

2. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Yes, sorry to all those of you who already had the October gala in your diaries. The guys at the NRM were doing their best to have Flying Scotsman ready but all parties agreed it was better to avoid the potential of buying a ticket and then being disappointed. All four engines are already confirmed for 13th-15th April 2012.

The other good news for those of you who might need a steam fix before April is that you can still see A1 Tornado and B1 Mayflower at Model Rail LIVE on 17th and 18th September, with the added attraction for the FIRST time ever of being able to travel into the Barrow Hill site using the East Midlands Trains passenger shuttle train (for advance ticket holders only). Those coming to the event by car will be able to buy shuttle tickets on-site to travel down to Chesterfield. More details at www.modelraillive.co.uk or by phoning 0844 5811383. And that's not all. We're having a Steam Open Day on Sunday 2nd October, with A1 Tornado and B1 Mayflower, and we'll be putting more details on our website www.barrowhill.org as soon as our webmaster can organise it - we're keeping him rather busy at the moment! We are also regularly updating our Facebook page Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre and Twitter @barrowhill41.

Apologies again for any disappointment and hope to see you in April, if not before!

3. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the update Alexa, it was inevitable given progress with 4472's overhaul and a lot of us knew this was unlikely. Looking forward to next year's event though!

Foxy

4. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    It is a major shame that the news has delayed the gala. However I am sure that I am not alone in agreeing that this would a good decision and will more than await for the rescheduled dated to come on round to be able to attend

5. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    good decision. Can't have Scotsman missing, afterall, A3 is the magic number XD

I'll get my coat....

6. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Good decision, thank you Alexa for the update.

I can wait for the event of a lifetime - the only way you could better this lineup is to have them all in steam on the GCR double track...there's a thought!

7. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Thanks for your support chaps - and everyone else who's been emailing and phoning to buy tickets for October. We have got a database up and running for those who would like advance notice of tickets going on sale for the new dates. If anyone would like to go on this list, please email project_man@barrowhill.org and we'll add your details.

Don't forget you can still buy tickets for Model Rail Live on 17/18 September and then there's our Steam Open Day on 2 October. We're getting there slowly with the website updates - www.barrowhill.org.

Lastly, apologies to anyone who might have been trying to get through on the phone over the last 2 days. There's a fault at the exchange which BT is working on. We've managed to set up a divert to a mobile today so hopefully that will solve the problem temporarily. Could have done without this problem this week of all weeks!

8. yec2521

yec2521 New Member

mate the fab 4 event couldnt be bettered!

9. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Actually, rather selfishly, I couldn't make the October bash and am secretly delighted it has been moved to a date that is already in the diary! :rapture:

Foxy

1 person likes this.
  10. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

OK, I'm now confused!

I have just been reading the on line Scotsman report in Heritage rail, which states that the event will be 11-13 May next year (is this a typo along with saying it was numbered 102 and not 502/103!).

Barrow Hill still have their ad as saying 13-15 April.

There is nothing about it on the Scotsman's website.

So is HR wrong and BH right, or has it been put back yet again? :noidea:

I only ask as I've already had to change the hotel booking from this month to next April, and I don't want to keep having to change it!

11. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Unless it was a Streamlined Duchess, original duchess, lizzie, scot, jub and pat............

12. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Now that would be far better than any LNER, SR or GWR event.

13. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    The relative rareness of LNER locomotives in preservation swings it in their favour for me - but each to their own!

14. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Thank you yec2521 for posting this update. Despite frequent website updates and press announcements, we're still getting phone and email enquiries about Barrow Hill's October steam gala and we would appreciate any help in spreading the word that 'Fab Four' has been moved from this October to next April. Barrow Hill will be open as usual next weekend but we would like to try to avoid any disappointment for our visitors. Thank you.

15. Jasonkerner

Jasonkerner New Member

Has the line up been confirmed seeing as it seems Dominion of New Zealand is doing a steam dreams rail tour on sat april 14th?

16. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well 4492 was due for a tour on October 29th but it was cancelled/postponed and she appeared at the Mid Hants Autumn Gala that day so maybe another loco could take over 4492's trip or 60007 or maybe (if its complete in time) 60009 although don't the organisers want 4492/60019 as its not visited Barrow Hill before whereas 60007 and 60009 have.

17. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Steam Dreams website now states Locomotive TBA.

18. alexastott

alexastott New Member

Apologies that I've not been on here for a while so some of you haven't had answers to your questions.

Firstly, the May dates published in the latest edition of Heritage Railway magazine are completely fictitious and a correction will be printed in the next issue. Words did fail me at the time when I read it - sheer disbelief is probably the politest description I can come up with on this forum! To confirm - once again - the Fab Four Steam Gala is taking place on 13-15 April 2012 and there will be no further postponements. Tickets will be going on sale in January and I will put details on here as soon as they become available.

Secondly, Dominion of New Zealand is confirmed as the '4' representative in the line up and the other three don't have any stand ins that I'm aware of :)

As soon as I have any more news for you, I will post it on here. Those of you subscribing to our Facebook (Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre) and Twitter (@barrowhill41) pages will also receive regular updates.

I think that covers most things for now but if you have any more questions on Fab Four I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks.