If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Barking Park Miniature Railway

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by clinker, Jan 26, 2021.

1. clinker

clinker Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Barking born singer/songwriter Bill Bragg was on the radio this morning, speaking of His Essex/East London childhood. He mentioned the Barking Park Miniature Railway, which is still operating. I've had a look at their facebook page, which is mainly apologies for not being able to run, Covid restrictions etc. but can any-one give more information please?

2. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not sure what else you want to know, but wikipedia has more info than their faceache site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_Park

It was quite a long while since I last saw it, but I don't expect it to have changed much. It's fairly boring route, running in a straight line along the western side of the park with just a run around loop at each end. I remember the I&WEMRC (which I was a member of) being offered the opportunity to take over the running back in 2005(?). It would have been good publicity for the club, but the council required a commitment to running X number of days a year which members were not prepared to do.

clinker likes this.
  3. clinker

clinker Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the reply, have done a bit more googling, It was only morbid curiosity really.