If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bagnall 4-4-0 Sir George Newnes (WB2891 formerly Charles Wytock)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Felix Holt, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What happens to the loco then?

SpudUk likes this.
  2. 60044

60044 Member

Presumably by then the line will be extended and more locos will be needed!

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Four Manning Wardles and Lyn, with Isaac in reserve, would seem more then enough for Wistlandpound to Woody Bay

4. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

You can't guaranty that Isaac will be there then as the current agreement for this engine is comes to an end in the near future so might be leaving the railway.

5. 60044

60044 Member

.. ....which is the point I was trying to make. Like all lines where steam is a big part of the attraction it makes sound business sense to secure the supply of that commodity if possible and it is likely to be very may years before all of the new builds are complete - I wouldn't expect them all to materialise at once. For the figures quoted (ca. 75K) Charles Wytock would be a very cheap short term option.

lynbarn and Axe +1 like this.
  6. cncmodeller

cncmodeller New Member

Industrial Modelmaker
    How well suited for the L and B is the loco though? being a 4-4-0 is that really a good wheel arrangement for lengthy passenger working up hill and down dale? I would have thought for the L and B a loco which had it's main tractive wheels in the centre and a pony truck at each end was a minimum requirement?
    John.

MartinBall likes this.
  7. 60044

60044 Member

I have no personal interest in this other than as an interested onlooker, but it seems there are two separate issues to consider - he first is to secure the lines future near term with a loco significantly larger than quarry Hunslet (or similar) size over the present line or extended to Parracombe until more new build locos arrive, if Isaac leaves. The indications from its use before withdrawal seem to suggest that it will fulfil this role nicely. Secondly, there is then the question of whether it would be of use as the line extends further. At that point it may perhaps be of less use and the new build locos will bear the brunt of services, but it may still have a useful role as a back-up. I can only conclude that these are the reasons why the members group is looking to buy it. In an ideal world I would favour something like Statfold's "Fiji" as a worthy alternative, but getting hold of one is the problem.

ross likes this.
  8. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Talking about this loco with some L&B people just today. Opinion was that it did not suit as it damaged the track and produced a very uneven ride for passengers.
    Maybe it should go somewhere else in the medium to long term?

9. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

Fiji just would not have the right ambience for the L&B. In my opinion Charles Wytock does, perhaps even more so than Isaac.

I can imagine it might not give as smooth a ride for passengers bit am surprised to learn that it caused track issues.

10. 60044

60044 Member

Perhaps you should tell the group of members wanting to buy it for use there that!

Grumpy gramps likes this.
  11. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

I assume they know as I think it’s common knowledge at WB (I’ve heard it from different sources)

12. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Interesting news from GWR man that Isaac is probably leaving the Railway. So maybe Charles W and Axe will definitely be needed along with Lyn until the MWs start coming on stream. This is presumably why the fund has been started despite the loco not being ideal for the track.

13. meeee

meeee Member

You'd probably want to fit front and back pony trucks to Fiji unless you're going to run all your trains at 10mph. It doesn't do bends.

Interesting that it CW doesn't give a smooth ride but it is probably something you could solve through better drawbar arrangement, valve setting and so on.

Tim

lynbarn and MuzTrem like this.
  14. 60044

60044 Member

There was a Hudswell Clarke proposal to Colonial Sugar Refiners (who bought most of the HC 0-6-0s for use in Queensland & Fiji) for a 2-6-2 version but it wasn't built.

MattA likes this.
  15. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I thought it was generally believed that the Manning Wardles weren't ideally suited for the line either? I understand the 'purist' reason for building a fleet of them, but surely if you're going to have a fleet of less-than-ideal locos, in the short term you may as well start with ones which already exist?

16. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

My understanding is that Charles Wytock has never damaged the track at the L&B (unlike Lyn) and the ride for the passengers is comparable to that given by Isaac and Axe. The loco is more powerful than Isaac and therefore more suitable as the trains become longer. With 5 coaches now at Woody Bay, only CW and Lyn could haul them all. Hence the interest in keeping the loco on the railway for many years yet.

LesterBrown likes this.
  17. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

The engine has been sold to a L&B group as they got the money in time otherwise, it would have been sold to Stafford Barn railway who have acquired Isaac from the previous owner during the summer and, this is one of the reasons the railway didn't want to loose Charles Wytock otherwise they could have been down to only one steam engine capable of pulling the trains after the five year agreement came to an end with Isaac later part of next year.

They are looking into getting an all welded boiler for the engine so, will getting the paper work done for this alteration and, are planning to move the bunker back by 9" to give more room in the cab and, to start stripping down the engine in the next few weeks for the overhaul to start.

18. 60044

60044 Member

It's good to hear that this loco has been secured for the L & B. It may not be ideal in the longer term but should do a good job whilst the new locos are built (and perhaps the first stages of the extension) . Hopefully its overhaul and new boiler will not take long.

MattA likes this.
  19. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Interesting that the L&BR website members-only section specifically asked people not to post information about the Charles Wytock sale online ... though maybe GWR man got his info elsewhere. Also interesting his claims about Isaac moving to Stafford (sic) Barn. I wonder if this will turn out to be as accurate as past info?

20. 60044

60044 Member

I can't reveal my source but I was told some time ago that Isaac would most likely be going to Statfold Barn. Its owner had already lost interest in the L & B and sold his holiday cottage in the area. Since GWRman got this right I've no reason to doubt the veracity of his information regarding Charles Wytock.