If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Axel Box Clearances

Discussion in 'Locomotive Engineering M.I.C' started by AlistairS, Nov 18, 2007.

1. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    I am currently in the fanal stages of refitting horn guide to an andrew barclay 0.4.0ST I am restoring.

The frames are now set up and horn guides are parallel etc, but I need to get the axel boxes machined and face plates manufactured.

The problem I have is that I am not too sure what clearances to give the boxes. I don't want to put too much side play in, and being a 4 wheeler it shouldn't need that much, but I don't want it going tight as the loco rocks on it's springs... does any one have a "rule of thumb" method for running tollerances?????

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The LMA Handbook gives the machining tolerance of an axlebox of 0.000"+0.006" for the distance between the box flanges. The nominal design clearance should be 0.0625" upwards. With a four coupled where you don't need sideplay I would think that you should be looking at this minimum figure. Clearance between the hornguides should be between 0.002 and 0.010", depending on thesize of the box. As it's a four-coupled and probably a relatively small loco I'd go on the low side. The relevant pages are attached.

It is worth trying to get hold of a copy of this book, if you can.

HTH
    Steve

3. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Fantastic... Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

I'll keep a look out for a copy of that!!!

Cheers.