If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Audio-34092 storms away from Wennington and heads for Settle Jn 12/12/81 RailwaysofGB

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Alberta 45562, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,

Apologies that this isn't a photo,suppose it's probably the best place to put it. I'm going to make a general thread for RailwaysofGB updates next time I upload anyway.

Please have a listen to this,certainly a treat to the ears if you ask me. Recorded by the late John Tait,i'm gradually working through his wonderful audio collection (with permission) and will upload the best bits for everyone to enjoy.

This sound sequence recorded by John Tait,for me personally is simply one of the finest performances and recordings I have ever heard. One can only imagine what the exhaust from the chimney must've been like,especially as this train was curtailed due to snow!

In this recording we here 34092 storming away from it's Wennington run past stop and roaring up to Clapham and then on to Settle Junction,so sit back and enjoy the sound of "The Volcano" erupting in North Yorkshire on 12th December 1981! The train was initially bound for Leeds but was terminated at Skipton due to poor weather.

Uploaded with permission from John Tait's sister,thanks Catherine. John was a good friend of mine and my dad's for the last 6 or 7 years and is very sadly missed from the railway scene,I feel that it is only right that his absolutely stunning,undiscovered collection of audio records is uploaded for the world to hear. You can look forward to many more of these files. Thanks again John.

34092,Wennington,12/12/81 - The Railways of Great Britain

Cheers,
    Mark

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Audio-34092 storms away from Wennington and heads for Settle Jn 12/12/81 Railways

Thanks for this. Excellent recording and as an avid sound recordist I'm looking forward to hearing more.

3. Alberta 45562

Cheers Ian,thought you might enjoy this. There's plenty more of 34092 to upload at some point.

Apologies that I haven't been in touch about those sounds I was talking about for the simulator yet. I still plan to but the bloke making the models has decided to take his time over it....

Regards,
    Mark

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Audio-34092 storms away from Wennington and heads for Settle Jn 12/12/81 Railways

Only saw 34092 on the main line once in a torrential downpour near Birkett Common. Interesting sound recording. Never did get to travel behind her off of KWVR metals. Hopefully I will correct this in the not too distant future.

5. Alberta 45562

And me the same!

6. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Hiya mark, its good you are airing johns recordings, he was a real gent and a great friend, spent over 20 years sharing a window with him and listening to his jokes and tales from working with Virgin. Look forward to hearing some more.
    RIP John.

7. Alberta 45562

It's what he deserved after his many years of recording,Chris! One of the best blokes who went on the tours and that element of humor really is a big missing factor....know what you mean with the jokes and tales,they were fantastic. He really could lighten up a coach,such a shame but as you say,RIP.

8. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

He told the story of Michael Heseltine traveling on his train, and how Heseltine gave John a don't you no who I am look, but John still insisted on seeing his ticket. Haha would loved to have been there.

9. Alberta 45562

Haha yeah that was one of the best,there were so many! One of my personal favs was when some blokes mrs rang up the Piccadilly (i think) office and asked for her husband who said "tell her to **** off",so this bloke on the phone did and put it down.....priceless!