If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A warning to trainspotters

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by National Railway Museum, Feb 14, 2011.

1. National Railway Museum

National Railway Museum New Member

[​IMG]

While looking through one of the railway auction house catalogues, I was intrigued when I came across this sign from the old Nine Elms locomotive depot in South London. We had to have it.*For a museum devoted to railways, we have surprisingly few objects which directly refer to trainspotting and trainspotters. Trainspotting was a mass participation activity, especially among teenage boys, reaching its height in the 1950s with the publication of the popular Ian Allan*ABC Locospotters guides.* By and large, British Railways did try to accommodate trainspotters visiting loco sheds and depots, by prior arrangement.* But, as the sign flags up, railway managers and police took a dim view of youths sneaking onto railway property unannounced. *The sign has already provoked a rash of reminiscences amongst NRM staff and volunteers. I’m hoping that I can use the sign to get more discussion going.

Filed under: Small object collections Tagged: nine elms, signs, trainspotting [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The exploits of those making unauthorised visits to loco sheds would make an interesting study. Usually the 'gaffer' wasn't bothered, but the hobby wasn't complete without a few experiences of being chucked out. Of course, in these hysterical days of elfansafety and 'war on terror', you wouldn't just be told to clear off.

3. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    My cousin and I never seemed to have much problems always asking permission, usually given a stern look and told be careful! We even managed Top Shed Kings x using this approach one Sunday morning. We did "bunk" some only when we could,nt find anyone to ask, things were very lax in those days. My only safety issue was visiting York one day when I thought "what,s that burning smell".........I quickly realised to the detriment of my shoes, that I was stood on a dropped fire! My only transgression, for which we were both arrested, was at Kimberly (a big junction) in the RSA for taking pics through the fence. The RSA was paranoic about security in Aparthied days. The smaller sheds were ok the foremen being very friendly. Happy days.............mucky but idyllic........

4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Perhaps worth a book of reminiscences of shed visits - entry to Old Oak Common via the canal; visits to Nine Elms over the wall; Stewarts Lane on a Sunday; making friends with staff at the local shed; the friendliness of Scottish Region shedmasters (on your own be it m'lad); passing the WR General Manager leaving Laira as you were walking in (without permit) knowing he knew he hadn't issued a permit but saying nowt.

Perhaps the next book of Railway Reminiscences ?

5. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    In "Platform Souls" Neil Whittaker suggests preservation centres could make things really authentic by removing signs directing visitors to the loco sheds. Instead you'ld have to find them yourself and then try to sneak round without being caught or having a lump of coal thrown at you!

6. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Should we have this a reinstated could do it on the ww11 days and wear a tommy hat in case of lumps of coal hitting your Loaf of Bread