If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A future "memory?"

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by jtx, Jan 14, 2013.

1. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thought I'd toss this pebble into your collective ponds. I am soley responsible for this, and any flak arising therefrom.

View attachment ONCE UPON A TIME(A).doc

Not sure if this has worked...

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Nice idea JTX - wonder if it will become reality? We are doing something in a similar (if currently less ambitious) vein at the Churnet Valley/MCR. A group of us vols have put in a couple of extra days to uncover the site of the old Bradnop station on the Cauldon branch. No intention for it to become a halt at present, but who knows come 2019?

3. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Must agree Sheff; the reality that the heritage lines are becoming a vital and valued part of the leisure industry also means that new ideas to attract visitors are always required. Whilst the War weekends have been jeopardised by the "German" question, there could be other (localised?) ideas such as the northern Wakes Week where it's a question of every available loco on whatever mix of coaches can be sourced or the Devon Summer Saturday operation or the Hop Pickers specials of Kent.

Obviously each line would have a local theme that it could adapt BUT with the declining interest in Thomas due to exorbitant fees being charged by the licence holders and the controversy arising from the War Weekends perhaps now is the time to explore more ways of introducing local themes to reinforce the local connections of heritage lines as part of their commitment to the leisure aspect of their operations.

4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

it certainly is an interesting notion. I can't help wondering though whether people would ride this INSTEAD of the main trains

5. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    It is an interesting notion, JTX. Not quite sure how appealing it would be to your punter, personally. Not sure the USP of pacing the 'mainline' service is enough.

However, one concern: One of the current advantages of crossing at BY is the speed with which you can do it, compared to elsewhere, by using the Up & Dn. mains and bringing the trains in simultaneously. Whereas if you cross in Platforms 2/3 the problem of clearing points rears its head, and like at HL or AY you have to bring one train in then the other - so one ends up held at either BS or BN's home. So it would challenge the current flexibility.

The alterations required at BS and BN would be fairly small for the plans you're envisaging; the only place I can see a problem is the catchpoint in advance of Signal 5 at BS, which would need clipped for Down movements, as would Points 10, which are currently FPL-d only at one end.

The signalman in me, it has to be said, would rather see the re-installation of the points and ancillary equipment at BN for the shuttle to use P.3. But that would detract from the cheapness of your plan. One important point though - I'd have "Bewdley South - Burlish" and "Bewdley North - Northwood Lane" staffs, rather than one - one would reduce flexibility, and having two follows standard practice.

With two, the BN-BS signalmen can bell Ups as Wrong Line working and Dns as Class B consisting of DMU on the Main. This means that if your DMU is sat at Burlish Halt, with both staffs aboard, and suddenly something fails and flexibility is required at BY, the Signalmen can use the Dn. Main and by association the Dn. Yard. Whereas if the DMU were sat there with a staff that guaranteed authority to be in the Dn. Main, and something fouled up at BY, the Signalmen would be inhibited quite significantly. It also allows - if you move away from the branch shuttle pacing the mainline services - for the mainline trains to cross whilst the shuttle is out of the way at one end or other.

6. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Duly noted, Jamie, but, don't forget, this was just a daydream idea from a locoman who knows what signals are and what to do about them, but none of the technical signalling stuff. I just used the simple idea of basically a long siding with signals, isolated from the normal operation, because I don't know anything about the complex stuff.

Regards,

jtx

7. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    No worries, just putting forward a few of my own thoughts, based on a different expertise, on how the original concept could work. Feel free to use them!

8. D1039

D1039 Guest

A lovely notion.

Patrick

9. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Sounds great but can we swap 4930 for 45110?! ;)

10. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

One question for jtx - is this before or after completion of the line between Bridgnorth & Buildwas Junction with the nice new station at Ironbridge?