If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

70013 Bristol April 2nd

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 6136, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 6136

6136 Member

Havn't seen any comment on this one. Any one about? Does anyone know if it's due thru' Didcot on the main or the relief line? I'd love to see it hammering through but the timings suggest the relief line from Reading although it could be switched to the main at Moreton cutting. here's hoping.

2. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Will be out and about in Bath to see it through - unfortunately uni precludes a ride from Bath to BTM on it this time around.

Can't wait!

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'll be going to Victoria (as always), then maybe jump a train to Clapham or Barnes

4. 6136

6136 Member

Ollie will sound great climbing out of Victoria.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I hope so.. I have dozens (and have an extensive collection of photographs) of Platform 2 departures from Victoria.. sometimes they get a shove out of the station and it loses it's touch.

My favourite todate though was 45407 in 2007.. 10 coaches on it's own... it certainly worked hard but did it without a slip.

Least exciting is 35028.. it always makes it look too easy... though the tender produces more steam than the loco !

6. 6136

6136 Member

Yes I remember I was on one of the first Steam Dreams runs to canterbury with 35005. We ran out of Victoria so easily I was convinced that the 37 that had brought the train in must be pushing but a quick glance showed it still on the blocks. Having experienced Ollie on the South Wales run I think you will be happy with the decibels.

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I'm taking an early lunch and will nip down to Cholsey. Not expecting much of a sound track except perhaps a sewing machine impression. Brunel's billiard table is not much of a challenge.

8. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and get two shots, either side of the water stop at Challow.
    Hope this low cloud dissipates and the sun shines through!

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

What can I say 70013 is a noisey engine ! :)

Was ontime from Victoria, jumped a train to Clapham, heard it coming all the way from the Queenstown road bridge, and definitely after it restarted from the signal check.

I noticed as the train stopped in the platform at Clapham the marron dining carriage at the back of the train had a hammer / screwdriver on the step boards of one of the carriages !! Pointed it out to one of the waitresses in the carriage to move it.. might have hit someone if they fell off at speed !, or injured someone if they used that door to get on / off.

Pictures to follow shortly

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

At Victoria this am

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

And from Clapham.

70013 always looks the right engine.. what ever the stock.

12. GWR

GWR Member

Inventory Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    On time going in to Reading couldn't hear any flats on wheels !
    Should be at Earley tonight to see it return.

13. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Past Cholsey between 12:20 and 12:25, so perhaps 5 minutes late. Steam on and going well. X-Country DMU following a couple of minutes later, presumably under yellows. Sun didn't quite break through - never mind. Didn't hear any wheel flats - lovely! If I can bunk off early, I'm heading for Pewsey this evening.

14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Through Saltford near Bristol on time. Going like the wind.

Hazy sky not quite clearing in time :smt022 but now looking
    very good for this evening. <BJ>

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

It looks like the set has had a bit of maintenace and a couple of the coaches look like they have had a coat of varnish too.
    Only 3 of them we're leaking steam heating.. and I think they fixed those broken windows..
    The Buffet was notorious for it's flats last year.. but looks done.

things are looking up.

I wonder how many miles that set does in a year, it does seem to be one of the more utilised set of coaches.

16. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Due to endless roadworks on the way to my chosen locations, I ended up being a bit late for the Circourt Bridge shot and settled for what would have been shot two only. Some one already noted the sound Olly makes, well I must admit it was phenomenal! We could hear the restart from the water stop two miles away. Anyway video is on youtube now, though they are still processing it as I write - link in my signature, enjoy the noise \:D/ \:D/

17. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Left Bristol on time

18. BristleGWR

BristleGWR Member

Oliver Cromwell just before Bath on the return run earlier this evening.

Edit:03/04/09, increased resoluton slightly

[​IMG]

19. cg

cg Well-Known Member

20. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Saw it twice today, Tilehurst this morning a couple of minutes down surprisingly on the main. Not sure if it was still on the main at Cholsey where steamage saw it. Saw it again at Theale tonight where it arrived about 15 down. With a shortened water stop it left about 10 late. As usual with 70013, it was really loud pulling away towards the M4. Like other posters have said, the Green Train is now really quiet now the flats have gone. Also it looks like Theale station loop has just been re-laid with cwr, no more rail joint noise.